Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rant Warning ... Again

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LinznMilly, Nov 21, 2012.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry. :eek:

Seriously getting peed off now. Went round to visit my SIL for an hour or so this morning. When I got back, there was a letter in my door, from my downstairs neighbour. Basically she's complaining because she has some time off work and wants a lie in which she can't have because Max starts barking at 9:05am. Apparently she can set her clock by it, and apparently, it's 6 days in a row - errrr - no it's not! :huh:

The reason why he's barking at that time in the morning is because my brother comes round to apply my creams to my back after taking his son to school, and Max is alerting me to the door.

I'm teaching him the Quiet command, but it's taking time. He's getting better at being quiet when we're getting ready for a walk, but he still barks when the door goes.

Honestly, I think when these 2 go, I won't bother getting another dog. I won't rehome these 2 because of outsiders, but all the recent conflict I've had with other people is just making me think it's not worth having dogs. :nonod: :crying:

2. LurcherOwner

LurcherOwner Guest

Have you spoken to her to explain why he barks and that you are training him with a quiet cue?

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

How well do you get on with your neighbour?

Is it worth going round and speaking in person. Apologise and say you know its not acceptabe but you are working on it.

Explain why its that exact time etc

I find face to face talking the best policy.

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't see her long enough to explain, and I've had visitors here most of the day.

I have toyed with the idea of treating like for like and shoving a note through the door telling her.

I'd understand it if it were early in the morning, but for me, 9:05 IS a lie in. :rolleyes:

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It might be sensible to go and knock on her door, apologise profusely for your dog upsetting her but explain that he is only barking at the door and it is not early in the morning and that, though you want him to warn you someone is at the door, you are trying to teach him not to be loud.

Be grateful she has put a note through the door and given you a chance to clear the air instead of reporting the noise.

6. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Unless your neighbour is a thuggish skin head drug dealer I would avoid return note.

By taking the time to knock on their door and talk to them you are being a resonsible dog owner and taking control of the situation ;)

7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Thing is, this isn't the first time she's complained about the dogs, and it's starting to irritate.

First it was Milly howling whenever I left. This was when I first got her and she had SA. I was working on it even when she complained. I even videoed Milly whenever I left a few times, just in case she WAS creating a scene and in the times I videoed her, there wasn't a single peep out of her.

Second time was Max barking at 7:30am. It was because he was getting excited about going for a walk. I put the walk back to whenever I finished work and/or whenever I got up and had breakfast - but certainly after 9:30.

And now this. . .

It's not like it's constant barking, which I could understand - it's only when someone's at the door and/or when he's excited about the prospect of walks. I'm doing all I can and she STILL isn't happy.

Why me? Why isn't she complaining about the terrier who barks in the garden in front of her house whenever someone goes past and/or when he's left alone. Or the dogs behind us who bark and howl every time they're left alone.

I'm not saying my dogs are perfect and she doesn't have a right to complain, but at least I'm addressing the problem and TRYING to do something about it.

#7 LinznMilly, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I think a face to face would be a good idea, people tend to get very brave when they're hidden behind a note or computer screen.
    Might take the wind out of her sails. :)

9. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Ignore her. I don't like the noise round my way. The pub prepares from 7- deliveries etc- the nursery starts filling up at 7.30, the school at 8.30. The next door neighbours on one side now practice flute and keyboard and the neighbours on the other side above the pub listen to awful music with the widows open pretty often...

But, as it's after 7am and before 11pm I deal with it. I gripe now and then to my friends but other than that I ignore it. I complain to the pub if the noise is ridiculous or goes on past 12 but otherwise I understand that people LIVE around me. You can tell the woman under you why the barking is happening, and I would keep recordings of the barking and quiet afterwards- noting the time and date of each recording but other than that she has nothing to whinge about.

10. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I honestly would talk to her. Did you speak to her when she complained last time? It maybe that she has complained about the other dogs, unless you know those owners and they say she hasn't then I wouldn't view this as personal.

I am trying to put myself in her shoes. Having lived next to a dog that barked when left by full time working owners, it's very tough. Unlike you they didn't much care. You might find that a gentle word will go a long way to making her much more sympathetic. I would like that right now she's feeling it's all a bit endless and we all have different ways we live our lives and she does have a right to a lie in when she wants. Viewing it less as a battle but more as working in progress might help you both? Or buy her earplugs :)

11. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry too much tbh, the nasty dog hating neighbour I used to have to live next door to, tried to report our dogs for barking at 9:30pm in the garden (there were kids in the back alleyway) and the local PCSO just said it was unlikely to be considered a nuisance as it wasn't continuous or anti-social hours.

I think the authorities do realise than sometimes dogs do bark, it's only when it's after 11pm or for a long periods of time it becomes an issue IME.

Hope your situation improves, I know how miserable it can be living with difficult neighbours :eek:

12. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I know how you feel (see one of my little stories below) but I would take the advice given, be very gracious ;) and make the time to go round to see her, explain the issue, that you are working on it and that you are very sorry for the inconvenience but you try to keep it to the minimum and make sure no one comes round very early, rub in the fact, still being very gracious, that you have changed your routine to prevent unsociable disturbance etc etc.

But if she is moaning about this you can bet she has moaned about everyone else. Can't really see her problem if its not constant barking though, mardy cow :p

We had a neighbour who was constantly moaning about Rory - barking , howling and whining. TBH his SA was pretty chronic but we had no idea till we moved here as we never had neighbours before, unfortunately he waited at least 6 months before he said anything so it built up to a really big issue in his head. Once we knew what was going on we made every endeavour to take him with us wherever we went. (Didn't know how to deal with it otherwise at the time) Trouble was because it was now such an issue to the neighbour on the rare occasions we had to leave him home it always escalated to constant loud barking, which it wasn't even though I am sure it was pitiful to hear :(, to the point where he started to tell me all about these collars that stop the dog from barking by ................ :mad: I flipped at that point and told him we were doing our very very best for his sake so would he prefer it if we had him put to sleep :eek: (it was only ever during the day, if we went out at night he came with us or we took him to my Mums an hour away) would he like that!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't moan much after that, think he realised how unreasonable he had become. Ironically we did have Rory PTS earlier this year, not completely uninfluenced by this neighbour as he was getting less mobile, being able to take him everywhere was becoming more of a problem, we could cope with not going out etc but not without me having to go to the odd client meeting where he couldn't come.

Two months later the neighbour decided to move and rents his house out to a herd of fat elephants who get in really bad moods with each other in the early hours of the morning :eek:

13. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

my dog suffers with SA and when we first got her she did a fair bit of whining and howling, not continuous but fairly loud and very late at night and early morning. I pre-empted any complaints by taking a box of chocolates to both my neighbours, explaining her problems and assuring them I am dealing with it. Turned out that only one of them had heard any noise but it has made for a nice atmosphere between us anyway ;)

(Mind you I am in housing association and if my neigbours put their minds to it and complained properly I would have to get rid)

14. Chris Swansea

Chris Swansea Banned

In all fairness, you have a thing that makes her life, in her home, worse than it needs to be. Just cus its a cute and fluffy dog, doesnt mean its not having an effect. If it was music playing loudly, or domestics, or constant home improvements it would be exactly the same thing.

So go round, apologise and look into alternate training for it, so that it doesnt cause the hastle and bark. Maybe give your brother a key so he doesnt have to knock?

But go and apologise and make amends. Its the reasonable thing to do i think.

15. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I called round but she wasn't in, so I've written a letter of apology, explaining the situation about why he barks at a certain time, and how I'm dealing with it.

I have also said that it's because of his barking that I put back the walks to after 9:30.

I don't have the money for gifts as atm I'm literally only getting SSP, but I will also apologise in person next time I see her.

16. astara

astara PetForums Senior

you cant please every1 hun if it were me i go and address it with her it not like its anti social hours or such dont let her make you feel like you cant have other dogs in the future if talking doesnt work go for the EAR PLUGS LOL:)

17. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I can't help but agree :eek: I know when people live with close neighbors, noise is part of the package, but as much as I love dogs, if every morning I was woken up by one barking, it would get to me.

9am might not be early for some people (especially people with dogs :D), but other people have reasons that they need to lie in (anything from a chronic illness, to working late shifts), and 9am is early enough that it's understandable that she'd have a problem.

It's a good thing you sent an apology. The old 'you catch more flies with honey than vinegar' springs to mind. Be extra nice and extra apologetic (as to be fair, it is your dog making her life more difficult) and hide any irritation as best you can! Getting irritated is just going to increase the problem. I can see why if she's complained before about the dogs that that would annoy you... but another way of looking at it is that if she's complained before about the dogs then I can see why she is annoyed ;)

It's good of you that you put his walks back to 9.30am though, I'm sure many people would not be so considerate :)

18. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

#18 LinznMilly, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  19. dancemagicdance

dancemagicdance PetForums VIP

Sounds like you've done the right thing by being polite, especially since you've explained that you've made changes before to accommodate her. With everyone living so close to one another now, it's only fair to compromise :)

She's lucky she doesn't live round here, all the dogs in the neighborhood often form a 101 dalmatian-style choir and all howl at once. Literally at least 20 dogs all over the estate :eek: I think it sounds amazing but I'm sure I have plenty of neighbors who don't :lol:

20. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I've seen her in person and apologised again. It did get to me yesterday because lately it's always my 2 that people complain about, especially Max, and while I can understand not everyone's going to love him like I do, he's not a bad dog - just noisy. :( :rolleyes:

But I've had a good day with the dogs today :thumbup: - even left Milly out of her crate with a chew while I went to a lunch call came back to see the living room as I left it. Then when I went to take them for a walk, Milly was still busy with her chew so I took Max alone. By the time we came back, Milly was ready for her own walk - but again, nothing out of place - and that was with the kitchen left open for her to rummage in too :eek: :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice