Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rant needed.....................!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by princessx87, Jul 16, 2009.

1. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

I just looked at this website called Many tears rescue, After a member posted the link.

Most of the dogs that are there are ex-breeding dogs.
    Now they dont say b-s-b, or anything,

But i was amazed at these dogs condition after they have produced so many litters, some are beond repair!! :cursing: :cursing:

I know many people will not jump at the chance of saying that they would put their dog in rescue after they was "useless" But how many breeders keep the dogs after they have finished breeding over and over....???

Now please:- Do NOT think i am insulting breeders..... As i'm not, I'm just asking a general question as it seems like on this site many are from "everyday normal breeding homes"!!

2. rona

rona Guest

I often wonder what happens to some of the ex breeding bitches from the bigger show or working kennels

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Well my bitch never even got started!
    We planned a mating for last october,stud dog sorted,homes waiting etc,then we had our plans disappear down the toilet! :(

I couldn't rehome any bitch I was breeding from,however some do,we had a good debate about this on the breeding for money thread,as for ex puppy farm bitches and dogs well if rescue don't get involved they are just disposed of I dread to think about what happens to them :(

4. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Many tears rescue do great work, and i feel for them with the ex breeders... we had an ex breeder westie and she was such a darling dog but from a welsh puppy farm, she was stiff, blind, mage ridden and a very sorry state...terrified on normal household activities but she bloomed into a gorgeous dog.

Rescues that take on large numbers of ex breeding bitches/studs i think struggle with their conscience... By taking them in they are making room for new breeding bitches and studs, but they cant simply leave them to die in such a state...

But these dogs are mostly from large scale puppy farms, not reputable breeders... this site generally only advocates reputable breeders.

(p.s i only get rescues ;) )

5. princessx87

Thanks for the replies.

There was some sad sites, looking at these dogs one even had bad back legs, its was :eek:ut: why someone would just use animals as cash-points
    :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Many Tears are angels, thank goodness for them is all I can say.

The rescue I help out at is much much smaller but we have 1 'breeder' who gifts her dogs to us after they are no longer useful. :mad: They have all been beautiful sweet and gentle dogs (I actually kept one my JRT Sumo who is a wonderful dog) but they are terrified of the real world! They've never lived in a home, they've never been on walks!! The first time I took Sumo to the beach he nearly went into melt down..something I didn't even think about doing with my dogs nearly scared the life out of him!! Luckily he's now a fully fledged beach lover like all my dogs!!

We keep 'friendly' with the breeder because otherwise we don't know what she'd do with the dogs, at least we know the remaining years of their lives will be safe and comfortable. Some of the bitches have started breeding from their first season and had litters everyone after until they are 6 years old. All the dogs are kept in cages, okay not teeny tiny but still locked up 24 hours a day with no contact other than feeding and cleaning the bedding (which isn't done as often as I would like). They are never walked, never cuddled and never given anything other than the bare minimum needed to survive.

And the shocking thing about it? The woman has a licence to do this. :cursing:

7. rona

rona Guest

So why aren't your fat cat councilors doing anything about it? :mad:

8. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I will not be breeding my girl a lot and will not give her up when she is no longer able to have puppies, it makes me sick what some breeders do to the dogs

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:idea: Oh come on they are too busy! They have luxury houses to build on agricultral land and then get dodgy retrospective planning permission. And way too busy buying up land cheap to sell on to farmers at inflated prices.

RSPCA went to visit her...dogs were sheltered, watered and fed. They suggested the council to a spot check visit as she couldn't prove the age of one of the breeding bitches. The council rang her to ask when they could visit..made arrangement for a spot check visit 2 weeks later...funnily enough the bitch wasn't there anymore because she had been 'sold'. Council found 'no reason to warrant further visits except for annual licence renewal'.

And people wander why those involved in rescue are batty grumpy old cows!!!;)

10. princessx87

Lol,

I was so angry looking at some of those dogs, and if someone was to just looking to their eyes, Then they would melt...

Everyone looks at the puppies and think awwwww....
    What about the mothers and fathers....???

I think im going to look into this and see, where i can help??
    Sadly i cannot foster, as my landlord is going spare at the amount of animals as it is, thank god for the credit crunch rofl..:001_tt2:

Does anyone know how i could get stuck in to help these animals in need???

11. clueless

clueless Banned

I breed, and have never rehomed/ sold any of my Bitches after I had "used" them. Another diffrence is most of these Puppyfarm Bitches are mated every season, do not get any exercise whatsoever after a litter or probably daylight

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I rehomed one of my bitches. She did not take to having pups she had a very big litter and I ended up having to partically bottle feed them as she did not would not at first have anything do do with them. She was a miss marked parti colour so although whippets do not have any such thing as a miss marked colour she was constantly being knocked at shows.

A couple contacted me they had 2 older whippets one was suffering from renal failure and was going to have to be PTS they were looking for an older whippet to live with the remaining bitch. Rosie was not advertised for sale they contacted me on the off chance I may either have an older dog I was prepared to rehome ot knew of some one else who had. After muh discussion we decided to let them meet Rosie. It was not an easy decision to let her go she was out of the first litter that we bred but they came to meet her they bought their other dog with them. The 2 bitches got on fantastically as so Rosie went with them on the condition any problems she was to come back to us. She has a brilliant home they have horses and their own land and are is with an experienced whippet family as not olny do the couple have whippets but their family do too.

Given the choice of Rosie staying with us and being a pet but having to compete for attention with the show dogs and staying at home when we went to shows or being with a loving family with another of the same breed having the freedom to run and hunt rabbits on their own land I know which choice I would prefer for her and I think we made the right decision for her. But it was a decision made because it was the best thing for her I would never have advertised her for sale I would not rehome any of my other bitches just because the were too old to breed off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice