Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Rant alert: Lack of "dog friendly" venues...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Skinnywhippet, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Skinnywhippet

Skinnywhippet PetForums Member

OK just a mini rant here!

While puppygirl's separation issues are still a work in progress, we are kinda limited to places we can take her, if they're more than 15 mins away (which everywhere is, out in the sticks).

Before she arrived, I sort of assumed that most places, within reason, were dog friendly. Boy how wrong was I.

This weekend alone, we were chucked out of Homebase (ffs) when we popped in to buy a paint tester, and phoned 3 local pubs when trying to find somewhere to meet friends, to be told "the management doesn't allow dogs".
    We drove to a beach to find that it took ages to find a bit that dogs weren't banned from.
    Of three possible "nice walk" locations, one (nature reserve) didn't allow dogs at all. The second had signs up with a blanket ban on off lead dogs, and the third was OK - we just wanted a large open space where pup could have a decent run.

Now, she's no angel, but even at 5 months puppygirl is a great deal quieter, cleaner and better behaved than a good proportion of children we come across. I understand that not all dogs are, but it really does my head in that everywhere seems to ban dogs if in doubt, rather than ask for them to be well behaved and deal with issues on a case by case basis.

Bit fed up with feeling like some sort of outcast, frankly - unreasonable?!

2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

At work all of us have dogs and we taken them in occasionally, and let customer's in with their dogs - my Director points out people don't ask if it's okay for their noisy snotty children to come in, so why would he object to a well behaved hound?

I find the more to the south west you live the more dog friendly places you find. Around here there is a few pubs to chose from but generally, unless it's a park or somewhere with a beer garden, then dogs aren't allowed inside.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Nowhere around here allows dogs. I was pleasantly surprised when on holiday to be able to take the dogs places.

5. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I've got several places near me. None of them are listed on any dog friendly website. I found out about a few just because I saw other people with dogs inside and asked.

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Yes that's true, I've recently been showing a new dog owner to the area all the places she can go :) It would have taken her months if not years to find them all herself

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

where abouts are you?

here is very dog friendly - North East

Wickes don't have a 'no dog' policy as a rule and I think a lot of nature parks have the 'on leash only' rule due to the summer being the breeding and rearing season for a lot of rare birds and animals

8. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

You can buy a dog friendly pub app if you have a smartphone.

I work in a Tourist Information Centre and realising there was a need for it I've done a Factsheet on dog friendly places in our area. (Chesterfield / Peak District) It's surprising how many places do allow dogs tbh. :)

English Heritage have information on their website which I found recently.

#8 Hanlou, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    Leanne77 likes this.
  9. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Are you allowed to list them on here?

10. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

If anyone wants the info it's probably easiest to pm me your email addy and I can send it across. I've included dog friendly walking places with info about safety on / off-lead etc. :)

But it's not confidential stuff - most of the info is on the web or is stuff I already knew myself and have just put together in an accessible format lol. :D

But attractions such as Crich Tramway Village that allow dogs ( Whispers been! :)) really surprised me! Even Chatsworth Garden (not the House lol) is happy to accept dogs on lead.

11. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

A year ago I would have felt like you but now I see both sides of the story and have some empathy with venues that don't allow dogs. When we first moved here I was determined that this would be a completely dog friendly establishment in every area including the letting rooms. It is and will continue to be despite it being really bad for business.
    Many people have said that they won't use us BECAUSE we accept dogs so we lose customers because of it. Despite people agreeing to keeping their dogs under control I am always having to remind people of the rule in public areas because they have let them off lead. I find this awkward but have to do it. Despite having an enclosed gravel dog toilet area immediately outside the back door and a fenced dog exercise paddock where they can go off lead owners let their dogs off in the car park which lies directly between these areas then let them crap and don't clean it up. We have had dogs go through the hedge from the car park into neighbours gardens. As the car park isn't secure one dog ran off and as they were staying here we felt a responsibility to help them look which meant we had to abandon the business until it was found. I went to clean a room and found dog poo on my carpet that there had been no attempt to clean up. This was a one off but the other problems are far too common.
    I still allow dogs here for the sake of all the wonderful owners and because I believe it's the right thing for a country inn but I TOTALLY understand why places would say no.

12. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I didn't know Chatsworth garden accepted dogs its not easy to find that information on their website. In fact we recently chose not to visit because of that.

I would love your sheet for the area.

Having recently visited North Wales I was surprised at the number of places that didn't allow dogs, including the train up Mount Snowdon, yet other trains in the area do allow dogs. I haven't yet found a dog friendly pub to visit so have ended up sitting in the garden for meals.

13. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

As Emmastace says, you have to look at it from the business person's perspective, too. There are far too many irresponsible dog owners about who don't keep their dogs under control and don't clear up their messes. Add in the fact there are people who are allergic and plenty who just don't like/are scared of dogs and I can understand why there are blanket bans in place. I'm actually surprised there are so many places which do accept dogs, frankly.

I'm in East Anglia and it's not too bad here but then I don't want to take mine into shops or pubs. There are plenty of fields with footpaths and the woods and parks allow dogs (and, consequently, are full of dog poo :rolleyes: ). I found the best way to discover dog friendly places was to speak to local dog owners (or just follow them around like a creepy stalker type ;) )

14. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

When on holiday a couple of years ago we visited Beamish Open Air Museum in the NE - had a wonderful day there with the dog. Ok, so he wasn't allowed in the buildings, but one of us would hold him whilst the other popped in.

Last week we stayed in a great dog friendly pub near Newbury - it seems they keep one room for people staying with dogs which is probably a good idea so non doggy people/people allergic to dogs can stay without worrying.

Twice we've taken Bess to Brighton to visit my son - we just did a trawl on the internet and found a couple of dog friendly pubs to take Bess too. Now Bess is extremely bouncy and excitable, but both places directed us to where we could enjoy a meal, and not disturb other people. The first was a nice heated outdoor area, but the second was in their basement room. In both places we had a choice of seating in the busy pub area, or out of the way, and it was easier and more relaxing for us to choose the latter.

I think there are a lot of places that will accept - and welcome - dogs, but you just need to look for them. I'd always advise looking before you leave home and then you won't be doing the circuit of places to eat, for example, and get despondent no one will accept dogs.

I wouldn't dream of taking Bess into places like Homebase - I don't see the point in that, so therefore it doesn't worry me that she's not allowed in there.

15. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I think you do have to look and I think it depends on the area as well.

I find the Cotswolds generally very dog friendly, lots of tea rooms with dog friendly gardens and lots of the shops allow dogs e.g. gift shops, some clothes shops.

I don't live in rural area so it's not quite so dog friendly but there are pubs that allow dogs in the bar, which we enjoy after a nice walk. Go Outdoors, the outdoor shop allow dogs.

It's never occurred to me places like Homebase would allow dogs, nor have I had the urge to take him there, so it doesn't really surprise me.

I've also stayed at a few B&Bs that have been very dog friendly.

16. Porky

Porky PetForums Newbie

We took Buddy to stay with my parents and went out for lunch to the local pub. Despite my father having been told that dogs are allowed in the saloon bar, the landlady wasn't in and the barmaid on duty told us we couldn't have Buddy in there 'due to the food'. Furthermore because we had our 9 year old son with us, she said we couldn't go in the public bar either.
    I was most annoyed particularly as I've seen dogs in there before and there was no-one else in there anyway.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I wouldn't call Lancaster all that dog friendly, but I know a few cafes where dogs are welcome (had lunch in one today), several pubs. The town's 2 main parks allow dogs off-lead apart from the children's play areas, and there are even a couple of book shops that allow dogs inside, as do the 2 of the 3outdoor gear shops. The only dog-friendly bank I've found is Lloyds, but I bank elsewhere.

National Trust properties normally allow dogs outside the buildings, though it might be on-lead only.

Many people seem to assume nature reserves are there for dogs to have a good run, but that is wrong: they are places where wild animals and plants should be as free as possible from human (and dog) disturbance. The nature reserve I volunteer on has a no-dogs policy other than on the public footpaths that run through, and dogs there are asked to be on lead. I get some dispensation for taking my 2 with me when working there (they can come with me to the work site), but I would never consider just taking them for a walk on the reserve. There are loads of other woods and beaches where I can take them.

The most dog-friendly town I found was Swanage in Dorset. I was even allowed into a bakers shop with my dog!

18. Yvonne White

Yvonne White PetForums Newbie

19. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

How strange. Maybe the owners have had bad experiences.....
    All 3 pubs in my village are dog friendly. Was out in Guildford at the weekend and the pubs there were too.....

20. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Thanks for reminding me of Beamish, must plan a visit there this easter ;o)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice