Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Random injuries.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SLB, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

A couple of months ago I was brushing Jack and he air snapped at me, with a yelp. Turns out I'd ran the brush over a scabby cut rather hard and it had hurt him. Now I don't know where it came from or when, but just put it down to undergrowth.

Today I've just been fussing him and felt a hard patch of fur around his face, took out the comb as I thought it might've been a lug. Started to gently tease at it, and scabby bits were coming off. I got some wipes and started cleaning as I combed. Got rid of most of the matted scabby fur and gave it a clean. Unsure of whether to shave the area or not just to get to it properly.

But I can't work out what is causing the injuries. It can't be undergrowth because he crashes about as much as Lou and Pen and they come out of bracken and brambles with barely a scratch on them. Then I thought, could it be them fighting whilst I'm out, but I can't see that, I'd notice any tension between them when I walked through the door. Plus the other two would have an injury or two as well as Jack would stand up for himself, he's brilliant at helping other dogs but he will not be bullied.

So where do these injuries keep coming from? :confused:

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert gets them. They're part of his skin condition. He just gets random scabs along his body. Usually his back.

This was the other week:
    [​IMG]

After being clipped:
    [​IMG]

I don't think its overly normal, though and am interested in what others say! Rupert's is definitely skin condition related.

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Jack's allergic to flea bites, but they haven't had fleas in months and the treatment I use keeps it all at bay, this is a different type of injury.. I'll clip it and see if I can get a picture of it.

4. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Is it wet eczema? My old GR used to get it too... I used to clip the hair off around them to dry it out and then apply an antibiotic powder.

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Hmm could be, could also be what Lou has after googling some pictures on google. Will have to take both boys to the vet next pay day.

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Take some photos of it now, too.

Hotspots are very common.

7. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Too dark to take photos atm, flash just makes it weird and I've just put thornit powder on Lou's feet (it seems to have helped before)

8. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Hope you get to the bottom of it :)

9. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

I don't know if there is any connection but when I had rats they used to get these scabby patches around their neck and I was told it was to do with too much protein in their diet.

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

They sound (and GS photos look) very much like hotspots - they drive some dogs mad with the itching, but others seem to barely notice them and they just dry up and scab over unnoticed under the dogs fur - my last Bernese was prone to them, and often the first I knew about them was, when like you with Jack, when I was grooming him and felt a scab.

11. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Harvey also gets sore spots, much like Ruperts, due to his skin problems.

SLB I hope you get to the bottom of it x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice