UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

9781 - 9800 of 9871 Posts

·
Grand Empress of the Universe
9,733 Posts
Driving home for my lunch break and I saw the local LONG COATED Akita being walked. He's massive and has the thickest coat, just couldn't believe she would take him out pavement pounding in that heat!
My lot find it way too hot to actually do anything and just lounge around on the cool slate by the back door, or on the tiles in the kitchen, barring Fly, who loves to sunbathe and will cook himself if you don't keep an eye on him. Unfortunately the swallows have decided he's a threat and have taken to dive-bombing him (they've never really taken notice of the dogs much before). He's very much upset by this as it disturbs his favourite leisure activity! Yesterday I couldn't work out why he was wandering about looking so sad and forlorn until I saw the swallows have a go when he flopped on the grass. Poor Fly. He picked a different sunny spot today and they didn't bother him as much, then he sat under the shade with me and they left him alone. For some reason they don't bother with Nooka who will sunbath for a little bit then pop back in the shade (she's sensible and good at regulating herself).

·
Super Moderator
11,995 Posts

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
I went to pets at home just before lunch to get some bits and pieces in 28 degrees heat and there was a couple walking a big husky/akita in the carpark and putting him in the car, idiots!
'Idiots' is right! Sometimes I dont think people appreciate that dogs have a blooming great fur coat and some of them just arent adapted to hot weather. Also it bugs me when people take them out for walks forgetting that whilst they are pottering along the dog will probably be running...and doing 4 times the distance they do. No wonder heat stroke happens.:(
TBH we didnt go out at all yesterday. The pensioners dont mind if they dont have a walk and it was def too hot for them. At least it didnt bother Adam that much (I was worried about his heart failure)...I suppose it helps that chihuahuas are naturally solar powered.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Finn spent most of his time yesterday horizontal in the coolest part of the house, except when he had a mad 30 minutes at around 10pm.
He was in the garden acting VERY strange by the bin. Jumping, trembling, darting away with his tail between his legs... I was expecting an animal or something to be about there, but it turned out to be -

A SMALL PLASTIC PLANT POT. o_O

He is scared of a plant pot o_O

I'm a bit embarrassed of him tbh :Hilarious

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Finn spent most of his time yesterday horizontal in the coolest part of the house, except when he had a mad 30 minutes at around 10pm.
He was in the garden acting VERY strange by the bin. Jumping, trembling, darting away with his tail between his legs... I was expecting an animal or something to be about there, but it turned out to be -

A SMALL PLASTIC PLANT POT. o_O

He is scared of a plant pot o_O

I'm a bit embarrassed of him tbh :Hilarious
Oh dear silly boy.
My old greyhound freaked when she was hit in the face by a leaf once, she pulled me all the way home.
Such sensitive souls.

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
It's been hot here since the beginning of May and can only get worse. Tomorrow and Monday the forecast is for 31C and 33C respectively and for the rest of the month a slightly cooler 27 -29C.

I've been taking the Schnauzer boys for short walks up the top of my land, the left side of which is well shaded. Yesterday though they found the remnants of a chicken that was probably left by a marauding fox crossing my land! As far as they were concerned it was the most wonderful discovery sinced sliced breado_O All thoughts of obeying their hooman went out of their heads and in the end their leads were put on and they were hauled off the disgusting mess and taken back home.:(

And no I didn't welcome them trying to kiss me, saying sorry for their bad behaviour either!:eek:

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Grass

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Grass

We've been spending a lot of time just sitting under the walnut tree. The boys have been busy hollowing out a hole under the base of the tree. It's not big enoigh for two of them so theys have to take turns lying in it.

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Water dog

Carnivore Grass Plant Terrestrial animal Dog breed

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Im having the best time in the rain :D

Is daisy a little sun worshipper? She looks comfortable on the lounger
Yeah i do think she's a little bit mad, she will lay on the black mats and just bake in the sun, go in the shade for 5 minutes then repeat lol. She's not a fan of the rain tho :D

@Jason25 I've been looking for a holiday property on the moors. Don't suppose you know of any nice ones down your way?
I can't recommend any cottages, what are you going for? Prince Town area is quite nice, the moorland around there is flattish, Postbridge which is more into the Moor is also quite flat, you've got bellever forest which is really nice, some lovely walks. There's a stream/River near the forest that's nice :D

Okehampton side of the moors is nice, you've got meldon reservoir with some nice walks around it but it is steep in a lot of places.

You've also got Yelverton is a nice place, and so is Tavistock, nice little town/villages with some small shops.

Personally my favorite area is Prince town at the moment, there is a prison in Prince Town but it doesn't put me off lol

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
Saw an ad for the Ruffwear Hitch Hiker dog leash - it's actually a really good idea and would be ideal for Penny and a lot of the stuff we do where she has to be leashed but it's easier if I have my hands free.

But as usual, it's designed for much bigger dogs. Like little dogs don't hike :penguin The clasp alone would be giant on her, and the leash is way too heavy.
I've emailed the company directly and said I would buy it if it were small dog appropriate.
We shall see if they respond....

I do love the ruffwear products, her PFD is a ruffwear and I'm super happy with it. Just get irritated that small dogs get overlooked in the outdoorsy stuff so much :(

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Saw an ad for the Ruffwear Hitch Hiker dog leash - it's actually a really good idea and would be ideal for Penny and a lot of the stuff we do where she has to be leashed but it's easier if I have my hands free.

But as usual, it's designed for much bigger dogs. Like little dogs don't hike :penguin The clasp alone would be giant on her, and the leash is way too heavy.
I've emailed the company directly and said I would buy it if it were small dog appropriate.
We shall see if they respond....

I do love the ruffwear products, her PFD is a ruffwear and I'm super happy with it. Just get irritated that small dogs get overlooked in the outdoorsy stuff so much :(
We had the same problem with our pomeranian Cross, he was teeny and as you say they don't make these things for mini dogs.
He could walk miles and would go just as far a whisp would go.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Grass

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
Pleased with Ruffwear's customer service, they got back to me today, the woman emailing says she has a 13 pound dog and that leash attachment works for her and that it weighs less than a AA battery. Well, an AA battery is still way too heavy to be bouncing on Penny's back where her harness attaches, which I explained to her. She consulted the product design/engineer person who agreed with me and also agreed that they need to make more things for small dogs and assured me that "my voice is being heard"
But I still don't have a cool leash for the Pen-dog :confused:

9781 - 9800 of 9871 Posts