Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raised/tilted cat bowls?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jen8971, May 21, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

1. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

raysmyheart likes this.
  2. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

I have my doubts about them, cats naturally eat from the ground, after all they don't put mice or birds in raised bowls after they've caught them! They may be helpful for older cats and/or those prone to acid reflux, but otherwise, I would be very sceptical of their true value.

raysmyheart and chillminx like this.
  3. raysmyheart

raysmyheart PetForums Senior

Hi @Jen8971 :) Just want to share my experience. I've had success with raising the height of Speedy's dish and water container.

When she came to live with me seven years ago I saw that she would have strong hiccups nearly after every meal and she looked uncomfortable. I decided to try her dish on a raised platform to her shoulder height. You can imagine I was very happy when she never again had hiccups after eating.:Cat

This is the only kitty that I've known to have the hiccups. I suspect most Cats may do just fine without a raised bowl. I just wanted to mention here that a raised dish really helped my girl.

I also have her water in a large, container that is shoulder height for her. To me, she just looks more comfortable eating and drinking with the raised dishes. I will also mention that she never spits up as well, but this may be for other reasons like being shorthaired, just my experience.

Is Ash the sweet Kitty in your avatar @Jen8971 ? She is adorable!:Cat

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I found it did help one of my cats with IBD to have his food dish raised a couple of inches. His was getting gastric reflux before that.

But the dishes in your link are totally unsuitable for cats. Cats need wide shallow dishes, so their whiskers do not scrape the sides and cause whisker bruising.

I bought a wooden handmade raised dish support for pets, from Etsy.

This is the one:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/610...f=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

It comes with the two stainless steel bowls which are shallow enough for a cat to eat from in comfort. However I used ordinary tea plates instead which rested on the holes fine and my boy preferred them to the bowls.

raysmyheart likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I have one who eats from an elevated dish (7 inches), she has her own little table. The other cat prefers to not use a table. I wouldn't use those though, they are much too deep for a cat's comfort, not to mention plastic.

Use wide shallow glass dishes for cats, whether you elevate them or not.

raysmyheart likes this.
  6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I raise my cats' dishes; I simply place them on an empty tub:)

lorilu and Treaclesmum like this.
  7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Raised bowls are good for cats with Arthritis as a flat bowl can mean they have to sit down too much to reach it. Jumpy's getting Arthritis now and often eats squatting and not sitting down fully, so I've just ordered amsome raised bowls (not the ones pictured though).

8. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

Yes he is! He is a very adorable bundle of zooming energy :)

Thank you all for your comments. Ash is currently just using some of our ceramic side plates to eat from (we started him with stainless steel bowls which were deeper and he wasn't a fan). The plates are fine but I would like one with shallow sides as he pushes a lot of the food off the plate and then seems to forget it's there! He eats it when you scoop it back onto the plate though..

From what you are saying it seems to be useful to raise bowls if the cats have reflux/arthritis/other health conditions, which Ash doesn't so I'm thinking it is not strictly necessary. He seems quite content eating at ground level just now. I'm looking at Trixie ceramic shallow bowls on Zooplus so I may just get a few of these and then if it seems he will benefit from it being raised in future I can buy a little stool or table to place them on.

raysmyheart likes this.
  9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Like a dish pan? That's what I use, old dish pans. Mazy cat loves her little table. Queen Eva uses hers as a tail chasing pedestal or a launching pad. She likes the bounce. :)

For Mazy cat I use a bit of folded paper towel as a place mat to keep the dsh from sliding.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

For a previous cat I used a salad plate (larger than a tea plate) as his dish, the kind that has a very small rim. It stopped him pushing his food over the edge as he was with the smaller plate.

raysmyheart and lorilu like this.
  11. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, those look rather good! I haven't see those on Zooplus before, must be quite new. I wonder how deep they are.

#12 chillminx, May 22, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    raysmyheart likes this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

raysmyheart likes this.
  14. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

If only it was grey to match my living room! :p So I've also found them on amazon and someone in the comments said the bowl is 4cm, which is quite deep isn't it... this is turning out more difficult than I thought!

raysmyheart likes this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

raysmyheart likes this.
  16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Haha, no. An empty 1L yogurt tub. The lid has a raised edge, so stops the dish sliding off:)

raysmyheart and lorilu like this.
  17. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I've just bought this for Jumpy, they're a good size for cats and they're grey :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06XD6P1ZL?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

raysmyheart likes this.
  18. raysmyheart

raysmyheart PetForums Senior

A tub is an awesome idea! What I came up with when I decided to raise Speedy's dishes was - a large turkey roasting pan that I turned upside-down! I make her a little "placemat" from a length of paper towel that I buy in decorative designs. She probably doesn't mind one way or another if the paper towels have designs on them but I seem to keep buying them for her.:) When I prepare her food Speedy sits by her "table" and waits to be served.:Cat

Adorable, for sure!

SbanR and lorilu like this.
  19. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Junior

#19 Jen8971, May 24, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 5:36 PM
  20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

They are quite small though, the size of a small saucer. Good for a kitten, but big enough for an adult cat's meals do you think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice