Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raised dog bed thoughts.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winniethepoodle, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

Does anyone use a raised dog bed? I'm thinking of getting one for Winnie but not sure. Winnie has a soft bed for napping and lounging about during the day and a slightly firmer cushion in her crate for night time (one of those crate cushions that is a covered oblong of foam). She tends to hang out of her soft bed so she is half on and half off or lies on the floor. I don't mind her lying on the floor. But from a safety aspect I would prefer her to go to a 'place' to lie down as I worry about my elderly mum stepping on her. She has dementia and doesn't always see her even though her sight is fine. I could get a firmer cushion for the floor instead of her soft bed but as its on the floor I see her hanging off this too and eventually will work her way to the middle of the floor again and thought that maybe on a raised platform she wouldn't be able to do this. I have tried getting her to lie on the floor in one area but she eventually worms her way out and its hard to identify it as her 'place'.

#1 Winniethepoodle, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Yes, i got one quite recently for some training i was doing with tilly with the intention of using it for murphs' bed.

He had thus far been on an orthopaedic foam cushion but it was quite old and unhygienic.

He loves to curl up on a small toddlers' trampoline in our garden so i thought a raised bed, with trampoline-like mesh would be comfortable with a bit of air flow right through.

Well he was having none of it. Didnt like it one bit! So we had to put his scabby old cushion back on top of the raised bed and now he will sleep on it at night but has taken over tilly's tuffie nest by day.

The tuffie nest has sides but was expensive - definitely preferred by both my two to the raised bed. I think it's the mesh they dont like though so maybe a soft covered one might be better.

Winniethepoodle likes this.
  3. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

Good to know about the mesh, maybe its cold with too much air circulating? Might be more of a summer thing?

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Not sure @Winniethepoodle - the mesh is harsh feeling and very tight with little 'give' in it.

Whereas the trampoline murph likes in the garden is much more springy. The bed i got was an unbranded cheap one off amazon.

Maybe there are better ones out there . . .

5. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

My 2 dogs sleep on HiK9 raised beds. They have a synthetic canvas type cover that can be hosed or washed. In the winter they have a fleece 'sleeve' over the top that is made to fit. Beds can be completely dismanteld for storage/travel. Not cheap but have had mine many years and my dogs love them, it keeps them above a stone floor.

I did find a secondhand one locally that was right for daughter's terrier as he loves them.

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes my 3 have raised beds and I use them at training too, it's great as a clear boundary for them to stay on. They stay cool in summer and you can sweep all the crap out from under them, are great for old dogs as they give good support, great for training boundary/bed games. Can't fault them. My HiK9 is for sure the best quality and I have the leg extensions so that it's higher off the ground (Nooka likes to be up high). The cheap one I got off ebay a few years ago was a canvas cover and that is going but I take it to training. I got a nice one from Amazon though it's slightly bigger than I wanted (squarer than the HiK9), and I have a Coolaroo which I've had a good few years and the mesh is starting to sag. But you can get replacement covers for a lot of them. I'd always go for mesh over canvas if you can.

This is Puzzle on his bed at training.

[​IMG]

And then on one at home
    [​IMG]

As you can see I pop a bit of vetbed and a blanket on them and that seems to be enough for the longer coated dogs. Fly the lurcher has a folded duvet on his as he needs a bit more warmth.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mine have raised beds. They are called chairs and sofas. :) We have never had a sofa as I am too fussy with my back but I bought a second hand cottage style one for £15 and though people are allowed on it it is principally for the dogs. Probably not what you had in mind though! They have a dog bed for night time and do go and lie in it sometimes and another one on the floor in the lounge which they use sometimes but they are not raised.

LittleMow, Sarah H and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice