Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

raining....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Louby, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

My pup hates the rain!!!!!

I was out with him early doors this morning [as usual] and because it was raining all he did was sit next to my leg shivering and looking up at me like i was the worst person in the world!!! Eventually he just sauntered back to the door and sat there.

I havent started intense house training yet as he is a bit poorly [see other thread in health forum], I will be doing that when he is a bit better. I am trying to get him used to going out and weeing - when he does i praise like a mad woman.

Is it just a matter of staying out till he goes regardless of the weather? I am sure it will be a little better when i can take him for a walk [second jabs on saturday]. Although i can imagine trying to walk him in the rain could turn into a tug of war too be honest.

Any nuggets of wonderful advice would be gratefully received

:)

2. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

my 21 week old lab girl also HATES the rain...if she knows its raining outside she will hold herself as long as she can then wee on my floor no matter how many times i drag her outside !!! When its not raining she will ask to go outside for a wee everytime !!! If its raining when we go out for a walk she goes like a cartoon dog and will spread all 4 feet against the door frame and we have to drag her outside but eventually she will relaxing and enjoy her walk in the rain..... !!! All I can advise is to keep taking them outside in the rain no matter what .... I will stand outside in the garden with my umbrella and my lab will be by my feet but all i keep doing is putting her on the grass and eventually she will go for a wee just so she can get back inside I think :eek: She is getting better now though....she will dart outside for the quickest wee in history when its light rain !!! Dont give up is all i can suggest and make sure you have a rain coat on !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

My 11 week old puppies also hate the rain. If its raining they will come in and wee lol

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I used to have to stand over Alfie with an umbrella. Even now he's a right little bugger for faking a wee and running in.

5. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

My Alfie loves the rain lol, he stands out there getting soaked...

I don't think there is any advice, other than to hope pup does as quickly as possible.

6. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

Bracken is a strange one, he doesnt like going out in the garden if raining, but put his lead on him and he is off like a mad thing, racing in mud puddles!! :rolleyes:

7. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

little pups are bound to not want to get wet, i remember our's did'nt either, we were lucky that we had a barn they could go under and do the necessary which worked well. It's not a good ideal to let a very young pup get soaked any way, a bit of drizzle won't hurt, perhaps time your visits to the garden between showers, which is hard with our weather:idea: we also have some shelter in the garen with the fruit trees, i use to go and stand under them and the pups woudd wander around until they eventually went:)

but i have to say even now when poppy is 3 half and meg is 15 months and even the oldie jrt who is 12 they still don't like the rain, yes a bit of drizzle they will tolerate on a walk, but heavy rain you can forget it, and over the last month we have had some real heavy rain storms, you could open the back door, they all race to go out and stop dead when they see it's raining hard, but who can blame um, i'm not that keen to get drenched myself, so they all run back in the lounge, ;);):)

8. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

:laugh: the cartoon dog image really made me laugh - i am guessing Perry will be exactly the same.

Thank you for all your comments, i will persevere with the wet weather training, well there aint much else i can do - considering we practically have webbed feet in manchester :001_tt2:

L x

9. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

oh yes...it has me in stitches everytime she does it....she locks all four of her legs around the door frame and I have to try and un-hook her legs from the frame...I am sure she is getting ideas from those cartoon dogs on tv :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice