Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ragdolls eating habits! 1 year

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by pinkbambi, May 23, 2010.

1. pinkbambi

pinkbambi PetForums Junior

Hi, both my bubbas are 1 year & 1 month & they just are not very interested in wet food.

Does it matter?

Ringo will eat a bit of wet food and lick off all the gravy & Penny will maybe lick some gravy if she feels it's up to her standards!

Neither would even sniff at food in jelly.

They both eat dry food happily though. They have eaten Whiskas happily which I left for them to graze on and was giving them Purina dry food in the mornings and the evenings which they enjoy.

Should I worry if they don't care about wet food?

2. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

They should be fine - just make sure the dry food is a premium make. If you want to vary their diet a little you could cook them a piece of white fish (coley or cod) once or twice a week or a little chicken or try them with a plate of (boneless) sardines in either oil or tomato sauce as a treat.

If you really wanted to be radical you could go over to raw - there are quite a few people on here doing this with positive results but I think this takes a bit of determination and dedication!

If you are worried about their eating habits you could just check back with their breeder. I am sure they would be happy to advice.

Can you post some piccies of them?:D

3. pinkbambi

Thanks for that. i'm not really worried about their well being or demeanor, it's just that I wondered if there was something wrong with them not eating wet food.

I have tried cod and chicken too and they won't touch that at all.

They didn't like James well beloved, were ok with the royal canin & loved the Whiskas & Purina.

Is Purina ok? I might try the Royal canin again.

Shall I just put food out in the morning and evening or shall I continue to have food in the 'free feed' dish in the hall?

Ringo is on the left & Penny is on the right. Ringo is about 3lbs heavier than Penny.

[​IMG]

#3 pinkbambi, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. pinkbambi

Ringo:

[​IMG]

Penny:
    [​IMG]

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello Royal Canin and Purina One are much of a muchness. If anything, perhaps Purina is slightly more transparent in their food labelling; they state that there is min 16% of chicken in it (not chicken meal); while Royal Canin just states poultry meal - no quantities. Both of them contain a multitude of cereal fillers - which are cheap for the manufacturing industry but of no benefit to cats.

If you can check out orijen, acana, applaws or ziwi peak. These four brands contain at least 75% meat and no cereals. They may be slightly more expensive than the other brands but you need feed less.

Of the four ziwi peak is particularly interesting because it is not your bog standard kibble but rather dried wet food. A bag costs £8 but it contains 8 daily portions - so you would feed your cat for £1 a day. Not bad me thinks.

However, one thing to keep in mind when feeding dry is that it only contains about 10% moisture - a mouse or wet food would contain about 70 -80%. Since cats are not natural drinkers, the lack of moisture can affect some cats and cause cystitis. Also, dry food is more likely to be full of carbs (cereals etc) as well as sugars than good quality wet food. Wet food is also less like to be calorific. At the end of the day, it is a complete myth that dry food helps cats with their dental hygiene. A lot of the kibble are too small in size to be crunched and are swallowed whole. They also tend to leave small bits of food behind that get stuck in between cats' teeth.

Instead of cooking your chicken, did you try raw chicken, or lamb or beef? A lot of cats love lamb, so maybe that would be worth a try. How about prawns or salmon? Tried those?

What wet food have you tried? And did you try to feed them that when you were free-feeding dry?

Personally, but that is a bit of a controversial subject, I would have set feeding times. Should you ever want to change your mind and change their food to wet or raw then having set times will stand in your stead. Also, by feeding a certain quantity at a set time you will know very early on if there is a problem with them not eating etc etc.

Hope that helps!

#5 hobbs2004, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Great photos. They look real sweethearts.:)

7. pinkbambi

I can't afford to buy raw meat for them at the moment so need to find a middle ground (lost my job a few months back and having a baby in about 11 weeks!).

I might try fixed feeding times but what wet food shall i try?

I also am wary that Ringo is a bit bigger and Penny stays away when he feeds and he might lick all of the good stuff before she gets to it and I don't always have time to wait while he eats then put her food out.

Do you think I can do a morning wet feed & a dry feed at night?

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Here are some that I had pulled together for a different thread. The list tells you how much meat is in it and where you can typically buy them.

In terms of wet food, here is a list of wet foods that are complete with a high meat content:

- Bozita - 93% meat content in their tetrapacks and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus. (about 4% fat). Bozita also do a tinned version, which is a pate that has 97% meat and 5% fat
    - Purely has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home. About 2% fat
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places. About 6% fat
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc (about 2% fat)
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type. About 2% fat
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Luxury 49% and Tesco Finest 49% +. The meat versions of Tesco Just Nature contain 60% meat.
    - Porta 21 - tends to be whole meat tuna (46%) and the rest broth; very low fat 0.5%; available from zooplus. Porta is a bit like complementary food in terms of its texture but it is a complete food. Just low on fat. You could add some goose fat to fatten it up a bit.

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen (Joe & Jills) - 90% meat content, about 8 - 10% fat - available from them directly - Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat; 5.5% fat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content and 4% wholegrain rice; 5.5% fat - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat, about 4-6% fat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day

You can feed whatever you want, whenever you want. So you could see whether you find a wet food that they like (Tesco Luxury or Feline Fayre ain't bad). Then you can either feed a wet in the morning and dry in the evening. Or wet in the morning and evening and some dry for during the night; or some dry in the morning and some wet in the evening. The possibilities are (almost endless). Just see what works for you and your cats!

#8 hobbs2004, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. pinkbambi

Thanks for that! I have so far been feeding them food in separate bowls in morning & evening (not much) and leaving dry food in a communal bowl in the hall for them which they graze at during the day but mostly in the night before we get up.

thanks for the info & I'll try a few combinations x

10. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

well i dont if it is a coicidence but my raggies have always been a bit fussy over wet food. they eat it but not a lot.
    my raffles who is now 16 up until quite recently ate alot of dry food but not much wet. now he does have trouble eating so doesnt eat much of anything.
    i give mine royal canin. they like the maine coon and also the sensible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice