Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ragdoll rage

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by buffie, Jun 7, 2010.

1. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

hi fellow cat addicts Its Buffie,update on my psycho kitten.Lastnight was the worst ever, he was hyper most of the day and although not biting was a bit nippy.Then came bedtime .He sleeps in, not on ,the bed and there have never been issues at night but he took it to a new level.He repeatedly bit at my arms and even launched himself at me from the bottom of the bed to the point that I had to cover him in a piece of vet bed and deposit him in the hall.when i let him back in the room in the morning he was sweetness its self purring and rolling about.So enough is enough I have called a behaviourist who after 10mins on the phone says he is ' playing ' I hope I never have to see him angry.Ihave an appointment booked for a home visit on Thursday we'll see if she still thinks he is playing then .Wish me luck I'll keep you posted

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw haha he is happy :D they love to play like that its all part of been a tolerant cat owner haha :D

3. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Agreeing with Waterlily - your kitten is just being a playful and boisterous kitten! :D kittens love to play rough, and as you've found out the love to pounce and bite and "ambush" things. Its all part of kittenhood :)

I think you did right in removing him. Sometimes the play goes too far and you need to let him know where that line is :) removing him/putting him in a different room for a while works well, as is completely ignoring him for a few minutes. He will eventually learn that certain behaviour just isn't welcome and will get him ignored. No attention = super bad thing! :p

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, kittens! Dontcha just luv em??:rolleyes:
    I have not so fond memories of bounding round the living room shaking the arm that had Gracie welded, tooth and claw, to it!!LOL She used to have a fabbo time bouncing off of walls and attacking any soft, vunerable parts she could puncture.:lol:
    They do grow out of it slightly though. Now she is a year old I just have to make sure my arms and legs are tucked in when she does a wall of death round the downstairs!!;)

5. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Sorry - it isnt fun being their scratch post (game or not)

Mine attack any part of me that is outside of the duvet especially in the morning - which is weird because otherwise they are getting much better at being more gentle with me and no longer pounce on me out of the blue like that. But something about that situation flicks a switch in them - I am debating just locking them out of the bedroom at night tbh as being woken up at 5am with kitten claws in my leg is not my idea of fun

I hope the therapist helps

6. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

smokey has always been a biter since he was a kitten i just think it the way he is but it dont stop me from shoiuting as it really hurts lol good luck with your kitten

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Aww now come on! :D It's purrfectly(;)) normal kitten behaviour :D

Simple solution is to keep kitty out of the bedroom. If kitty screams at the door to be let in and it drives you mad, consider a crate for night times, in your bedroom. So long as it has a bed, bowl of water and a litter tray in there, there is no harm done.

Signed: Jo the lady with 4 kittens worth of scratches all over her body, just from today alone ... but wouldn't change it for anything :D

Edit: Oh, and I forgot ... clipping the end of kitties talons will also help. You won't get needle nails pierce your skin that way. But you will have to do it every few days as they grow quickly. Just the tip of the nail though, you don't want to cut down to the fleshy bit!

#7 Aurelia, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  8. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

You could try blowing in his face when he starts they usually hate that, course watch he dosent attack your face ;)

9. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

You might not believe me now, but there will come a time when you look back on this episode with fondness..!

10. Wendy1969

Wendy1969 PetForums Member

Have you tried a tickle-stick game, quite boisterously before bedtime? He might just need wearing out a bit. If he has an excess of energy it might manifest itself in GBH! Worth a try?

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Many thanks for all your comments. I know kittens play roughly but this is way over the top.He attacks with ears pinned back,and baying for blood.Blowing in his face,yelling in pain squirting with water and all other remedy's only add fuel to the fire and believe me ignoring him is not an option,he doesnt stop until his jaws are tired if this is play my last cat a semi feral male was an angel,but I will not be beaten I will for his sake find the button that operates the cuddle cat.

12. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

I am sorry your Raggie is like that, its hard to believe they can be like that as my raggie is soft, and has never tried to bite us. I must addmit i dont have my cats in the bedroom at night they stay in the kitchen , i hope you can sort him out soon!!

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:D That still sounds like kitten behaviour. Alright some are angels.. usually the ones that have been kept with their mum for longer (13 weeks instead of 6 or 8), but plenty are just like your little one.

I have 4 (almost) 5 week old kittens that have in the last couple of days realised that I make an excellent scratch post and climbing frame, as I make funny noises if they do it just right, a nice cuddly pillow for long naps ... and of course I give very good fusses to the irresistible little monkeys :D

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Rule 1.

Keep him out of the bedroom. :)

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If he is behaving in the bedroom will this make a difference

16. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw mine sleep in my bedroom they would be devastated not to haha so would I :D

17. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Ours would just have some sort of cutting tourch out to get it if we shut them out :rolleyes: :lol:

18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

On reflection dont know if this would be helpful as he has only been shut out twice (as a punishment)for biting.He may think he is being punished but hasnt done anything wrong.

19. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

He any better now?

20. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not any better nor any worse Iam begining to spot the danger signals quicker so have deflected a few tricky moments,He is playing with his new toy Senses Cat Circuit he is exhausted so hope for a quiet night.Hows Walter?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice