Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ragdoll or Selkirks??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Prowl, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I still can't decide between the two I have never had a pedigree before however I have had a cat with Ragdoll and I loved her personality and affectionate nature.

I love the look of Selkirks Rex and they sound quite similar to Ragdolls but I can't decide if I want to stick with what I know and know I will like or go for something a little different.

I work part time as a dog walker I may get a little busier and I may get less busy sometimes.

I plan to take some time off to bond with the new kitten.

I want to feed raw but will respect if the cat does not take to it

I want an indoor cat, a lap cat.

I will have time for grooming all though I think my mum would prefer a short haired cat all though she has said she would prefer a ragdoll only because she doesn't know any other pedigree cats well.

My only fear is getting a long haired cat that does not like to be brushed o.0

2. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

As they are both such laid back breeds this comes solely down to personal preference. Of the two, mine would be for a Selkirk :)

I think with most long haired cats, provided you brush them from a very early age and maintain it as a positive experience you shouldn't have any problems :)

3. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

I would get in touch with a Selkirk breeder and see if you can visit them- explain that you may be interested in kittens in the future but not at this moment in time- they will generally allow you to go and have a good chat and meet their adult cats.

That way, you can see what temperament they tend to have when older and also, you can get a taster of their coats. I'm sure breeders would be more than happy to talk to you about grooming. (You could do the same with a Raggie breeder as well, although if you have experience with the breed already may not be as necessary).

I've done this with a couple of breeders and they've been fine with it. You should benefit from going to a cat show, too- exhibitors are generally very happy to talk about their cats :thumbup1:

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I would go and find breeders first before you decide. Find one that has a dog too, feeds raw to their kittens, and one that brushes kittens from an early age. GO and visit both so you can judge temperament etc.

Then make up your mind which breed you prefer.

For me I love the slightly more inquisitive nature of Selkirks, but the curls do it for me as well (though many Selkirks are variants anyway and straight haired)

#4 spid, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. londongal796

londongal796 PetForums Senior

In other words, go visit Spid ;)

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Well I do have/ do all those things - but I believe Prowl is far too far away from me. And I only have 2 Selkirks so might not be enough to make up his mind.

EDIT: why did I think up North - Essex is still a way away though.

I know of a breeder near Woking, lots of cats, has a dog, I think all short haireds though, and doesn't feed raw.

7. Prowl

Prowl Guest

psssst She ^^''
    People all ways think I'm a bloke lol o.0'''

I would love to go to a cat show though not sure if their any local in Essex??

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Ooops sorry.

the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy there are a couple at Bracknell and one in Herts - but I can't see any in Essex itself. You may need to travel.

9. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Have a look at the GCCF website the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy it lists all cats shows by date and location.

I know it may be a bit of a trek but the Supreme at the NEC Birmingham on 23rd November, is definatly worth a visit :)

10. Neelix

Neelix PetForums Newbie

Hi Prowl,

I have 5 Selkirks, all shorthair and am a breeder.
    If West Sussex isn't too far you're welcome to visit, my next litter will have raw as well as dry and tinned wet food.

Or come to a show at Bracknell, pm me and I'll let you know which one's I will be at.

Nicky

11. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

Ooooohhhhh, I just love the Selkirks, I would definitely choose the Selkirk over the Raggie, although I love all cats and Raggies are a lovely breed too I just think Selkirks are just that bit more special, just something a little different. Saying that there isn't any breed I wouldn't have.
    Hope you find the right kitten for you. :)

12. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

I'm down on the Selkirk side as I have three Selkirk pets cats, one shorthaired curly , one Longhaired curly and one Longhaired variant. Amazing fun characters, both longhairs are fine with brushing although with the curly it would be minimul.

13. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

Selkirk!!!! I love Rex's especially devons they have such kissable naughty faces

14. Soupie

Soupie PetForums Senior

Selkirks but I am biased and responsible for more than one PF Selkirk addict ;)

15. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I have never been interested in Selkirks, always been mc, siberian and ragdolls until i joined here and saw the beautiful Margo Spid has, fell in love and thats the end really, i think i may be addicted already although i dont actually own one as im already thinking of another Selkirk next year.
    Hoping Margo likes me sunday so i will be her new owner when she is ready.:)

16. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

So pleased to see you will probably be joining the Selkirk gang

I was warned at around Xmas time by either Spid or Soupie that one was never enough !!!! Now 8 months later I have three Selkirks!! How do they creep up on you??

I'm sure the delightful Margo will find you perfect and want loads of cuddles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice