Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ragdoll losing fur

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Umar, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Umar

Umar PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I’m after some advice for our ragdoll cat who’s been losing fur from all over.

She’s 9 months old and seemed to develop an impressive coat over the winter but now she’s losing a lot of fur from all over. If we stroke her or gently pull on the fur little clumps come out!
    She’s otherwise well in herself, not grooming excessively, no noticeable skin changes and generally a playful, happy madam!
    Is this norma sheddingl? Should we get her seen by the vet?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

2. Maurey

Maurey butler to a spoiled kitty

It's definitely time for a seasonal shed, at least where I am. If she's not itching overmuch (seasonal shedding does cause some itching, though, be sure to brush her!) , doesn't have any bald patches, skin redness, or inflammation, I wouldn't worry! She might not have much of a summer coat until she's more grown, so losing a lot of fur seasonally isn't an immediate red flag, imo c:

3. Umar

Umar PetForums Newbie

Thanks Maurey! I agree, we’re in the UK so probably is seasonal shedding but it is quite alarming when little tufts keep coming out. Thanks for the advice. :)

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Umar and welcome :)

Is your cat spayed ? If the fur is coming out in patches she could have alopecia due to an imbalance of reproductive hormones.

If it is more of a general hair loss all over her body, then as Maurey said, it is likely to be due to seasonal annual moulting. My cats have not yet started moulting this year, but I am sure they will start in a few weeks. :)

#4 chillminx, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Maurey likes this.
  5. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

I have two Norwegian forest cats and they're shedding now. My youngest cats hair comes out in tufts - theres always piles lying on the carpet, sofa etc

6. Umar

Umar PetForums Newbie

Hello and thank you!

We had her speyed in January this year which went well we think. She still has a large shaved bald patch from the operation which actually is growing back. Her hair loss is more generalised so we’re hoping it’s just seasonal moulting.
    Do you think it’s worthwhile taking her to the vet? Or would there be other signs of a hormonal issue?
    Thanks in advance!

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As the fur loss is generalised it sounds like seasonal moulting and I wouldn't worry about it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice