Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Ragdoll Kitten Home Alone? Cage?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ragdoll509, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Ragdoll509

Ragdoll509 PetForums Newbie

I'm planning on getting a kitten soon, but I always worry too much. I have some questions that keep going on in my head.. Currently we're getting a sunroom built.. Blame my mum. My mum doesn't like pets at all and even though I think it would be the perfect place, she doesn't want them in there.

Should I keep her or him in my room or the living room first? There are ornaments in the living room and a screen fireplace.. Obviously I know that should be off, but I don't really trust anyone to keep it off. I live with old people My room.. Well I'd have to shove a bunch of things away and remove this gianr princess bed in my room that no one uses.. They mostly use it like a storage unit? There's a bunch of stuff underneath it and on top of it is clothes and my sisters old teddies. Don't ask about anything. I blame them.

I'm out at uni 3 days of the week mostly 9am till 2 3 or 4 pm..

The rest, I'm at home. And when I'm out for those periods... I don't really want the kitten making a mess of the place... So I feel guilty but I'm looking at cages until I know its a little more well behaved..? Just want to be prepared

Just need advice on where to put them and if a cage would be necessary since I'm out some days of the week. It won't be permanent. Unless... They like it? You never know..

Also any suggestions on how to keep them away from places they shouldn't go? I've seen some suggestions but I'd like to know more opinions

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You need to make a space that is safe for a kitten to come into.

But, as your mother doesn't like pets, do you think this is the right time to get a cat?

You are in Uni, things are likely to change in the future. Personally I'd hang fire and wait until you have your own place.

Torin., chillminx, moggie14 and 7 others like this.
  3. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

Maybe you should wait until you're not in uni to get a kitten, as it would be unfair to keep it in a cage for hours.
    You should be home most of the time if not all of the time for the first few weeks to help the kitten settle in, and make sure they don't get up to mischief..

Treaclesmum, buffie, Calvine and 2 others like this.
  4. Ragdoll509

Ragdoll509 PetForums Newbie

Yeah I understand .. Maybe I'll get someone to help.. I mean that's all I can think of.

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Please, do not get a kitten now. It is never a god idea to bring a pet into a home where the pet is not wanted. And keeping a kitten in a cage would be cruel. Kittens need to be able to run and jump and climb and play. They need a separate space for their litter boxes, food and sleeping. Wait until you are an adult and self supporting in your own home before getting pets.

chillminx, moggie14, ebonycat and 6 others like this.
  6. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Kittens by their nature are little bundles of mad energy who need to rampage about burning off that energy. They have no sense and no manners, despite being very cute, and I guarantee they will break things and probably have the odd accident on the carpet.

Please do not even think of keeping a kitten in a cage for hours on end. You will end up with a miserable, neurotic cat with issues. I would also advise you to wait till you get your own place if your mum isn't keen, or at least consider an older, calmer cat which can be trusted more to use the tray,and won't have the crazy destructive kitten energy.

#6 Emmasian, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Wait for a better time to get a kitten.

Preferably when it’s wanted by every member of the household and it’s not going to be a problem.

All sounds a bit complicated to me at the moment and you’re going to be busy yourself with Uni, etc.

What happens if you decide to travel/move out where pets aren’t allowed? It can’t be left where it’s not wanted.

#7 Lurcherlad, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    chillminx, moggie14, ebonycat and 4 others like this.
  8. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Ragdoll509
    So many people get rid of pets when they travel, move to rental accommodation where pets cannot live etc.
    It is not fair to the poor animals who are left behind.
    Wait till you are settled to get a pet.
    A cage is no life for a kitten or adult cat.
    Your mother doesn't sound like she will care/give attention to the pet if you can in future not be there.
    Maybe volunteer in a shelter to be around cats/kittens for the current time.

moggie14, Lurcherlad and buffie like this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Nothing to add to all that has already been said .
    Now is definitely not the right time for you to be thinking of a kitten as they need lots of quality time with people who will give them the love and care that they need and deserve , sadly it doesn't sound as though your family are as keen to have a kitten as you are.

moggie14 likes this.
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

I agree, now is not the time to get a kitten. Firstly you are living in your mother's home and she doesn't like pets. It's her home, so her rules. Secondly life will change, probably massively, when you leave Uni. Thirdly you will (I hope) move out some time, you don't need the additional stress of trying to find somewhere to live that will accept pets, or indeed of cat-loving house-mates.

Finally a properly bred, health tested, registered Ragdoll kitten depending where you live will probably cost nearer £1,000 than £500. Would have thought that is money better spent elsewhere at this stage in your life. An apparently 'cheap' kitten from a BYB can end up costing far more if, as is common, it has health issues.

Torin., Scouttie and moggie14 like this.
  11. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Sorry but I agree with everything that has already been said. Not the right time at all.

Scouttie likes this.
  12. karen1812

karen1812 PetForums Newbie

Yes I agree not the right time to get a kitten no life for him/her to live in a cage for most of the day I have 4 cats under a year old and they tear around like loonies when they are awake and they are on there own for only 2/3 hours in the week never alone at the weekends so think long and hard before you commit to a animal

Scouttie likes this.
  13. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Junior

I waited 15 years to get my kitten. She is a handful!!! She tears abound the house, burning off energy. She has really taken over. A cage doesn’t sound great, they do need a small safe place initially but I used the sunroom for this. Kittens will make a bit of mess, but that’s the fun. They can be cute and cuddly, but they are also little monsters!

If your mum doesn’t like pets how will she cope with litter trays, food, clawed carpets, crying for attention? Then kitten will get under her feet and follow her about. If it’s stuck in a cage and she is home th poor wee thing will cry for attention.

Like others I think this is a bad idea. What until you have you own home.

moggie14 and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  14. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

I agree with everything above. I waited to get my two until I felt the situation was perfect. We were renting, but with a supposed long term lease of 3-5 years. Nine months in he split up from his partner and had to turf us out to move back in. It was incredibly stressful trying to find a new place that would accept two young cats :(

Chances are that when you finish uni you'll be in rented for some time and you may struggle to find somewhere if you have a cat :(

Gallifreyangirl and Summercat like this.
  15. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Have to agree with all the comments above. Best to wait till you in a stable place to live and not with parents to get a cat.

16. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Kittens are hard work. They need lots of attention. If you're at Uni and your mum doesn't like cats please wait until you are able to take on the responsibility solely. I promise it is worth the wait x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice