Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ragdoll kitten/cat owners - need your advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Raggiemum71, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Raggiemum71

Raggiemum71 PetForums Member

I have a male Ragdoll kitten who will be 5 months old on 2 October 2013. He's allegedly a purebred blue mitted Ragdoll.

He is very skinny and when he was weighed 2 weeks ago, he was only 2.3kgs. I am taking him to the vet later today to get him weighed again and book him in for neutering, but I am worried he's not put any weight on.

My friend has a Ragdoll kitten who is 5 weeks older than mine and she says her kitten was much heavier and chunkier looking when hers was the same age as mine.

I will try and take a better photo later and put it on but my photography is rubbish.

I know this sounds daft, but if anyone else has a blue mitted kitten/cat please could I see their tail as I'm not sure if my kitten is blue (I am not that familiar with all the colours etc yet).

If anyone else has had a Ragdoll that has been skinny and underweight I'd like to hear from you. I've tried changing his diet and I am hoping he's put some weight on. He has a healthy appetite and was wormed 2 weeks ago.

Thanks.

#1 Raggiemum71, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I have a blue mitted cat and kitten, I will try to get a pic of them and post it

3. Raggiemum71

Yes please, I'd love to see photos. :) I know what a seal point looks like but I'm not sure what colour the blue point should look like on the tail. I'm really puzzled by my kitten. He is far from a show quality kitten. He has very short whiskers, is very skinny and has pale blue eyes, but I love him to bits.

4. sharonchilds

sharonchilds PetForums VIP

Hi Raggiemum71
    I have 3 Raggies, only one from a kitten tho but they are all quite slim and all have different coats. He may just be a smaller boy, i have a Birman and she is the tiny little scrap of fur, weights just 2.4kg and she is 3!

Here is Bing, he is a blue mitted and he is 9 :D

002.jpg

cats august13 021.jpg

the boys 134.jpg

Now we need a pic of yours :D

#4 sharonchilds, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  5. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

One of kitten, and one of mum, although looking at the kittens tail its lighter than mums, and actually looks more like a lilac lo
    Hope I can attach pics

Attached Files:

6. Raggiemum71

Awww bless, Bing is really gorgeous. Does he have only one ear or is my eyesight really as bad I think?

7. Raggiemum71

Awww they're both gorgeous, I want them both LOL. My kitten is the same colouring as your kitten, with a very light tail exactly the same colour. I am off soon to take him to the vet to get him weighed etc, hopefully he's put on some so fingers crossed. I will try and take some later but he never sits still long enough.

8. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Thank you, Her tail is a bit lighter than mums, it looks a bit pinky, but lilacs have a pink nose I think, not sure what she weighs now,but shes 15 weeks old now

9. Raggiemum71

jaycee05 how old is your kitten in that photo? Your kitten looks so much more healthier than mine and the fur seems longer.

I do worry about all my cats like they are my own children.

10. Raggiemum71

Back from the vets and the vet is pleased with him and he's been renamed Micnation (a name my daughter made up) instead of Coco as I had a lot of people telling me Coco is a female name :blush:

Micnation now weighs 2.57kgs. The vet says he's not too skinny and he's not underweight and that I should not compare Ragdolls as each one is different. She said most owners over feed theirs and I shouldn't think I need to have a fat cat to have a better looking cat :confused:

Anyway, he's now booked in for his neutering next week bless him.

Here are some photos I just took of him but he's very tired after his trip to the vet and the room is dark so you can't really see his eyes properly and they look red in some of them :(

Attached Files:

11. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

He looks lovely, his tail is thicker than my kittens, but she is only 15 weeks old, I have not got round to weighing her yet, but I will later, shes quite chunky, but your kitten doesn't look very thin, and remember that some Ragdolls look fatter than they are because of their thick fur

12. Raggiemum71

Micnation is now 20 weeks old and I know if I had my own set of scales, I'd probably be weighing him everyday which would drive me mad LOL.

I love him to bits.

13. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

Oh he's a wee stunner :eek:

I've got a blue mitted RagaMuffin (a cousin to the Ragdoll) if that's any help.

Here's a photo of his tail (it was taken a few weeks ago and it's much bushier now)
    [​IMG]

14. Raggiemum71

Just taken this photo of him a couple of minutes ago. He's sound asleep. Funny boy :eek:ut:

Attached Files:

15. Raggiemum71

I love your Ragamuffin, how gorgeous and wow I love the huge ginger cat behind. What breed is that one? Both really gorgeous.

16. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Some Ragdolls are longer in the body than others, my blue mitted girl is very long,which makes her look thinner than my others, they are more chunky
    Your kitten looks quite long in your last pic,

17. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

Thanks, he's is angelic looking but has a demonic personality! He think he can get away with murder by looking at me with his baby blues.... and normally he can ;)

The big ginger oaf is a Maine Coon. I've got two of them as well but my girl is more long than big (if that makes sense) and the boy is just, well, huge :cool:

Don't worry about the size of your little guy, they go through growth spurts all the time. It takes about 4 years for a RagaMuffin to fully reach it's size, so I imagine that the same goes for Ragdolls too.

18. Raggiemum71

I think he is quite long. I have 2 Moggies that are both 1 year old and I know if the vet saw them she'd tell me they were too overweight :blushing:

How many Ragdolls do you have in total? I'd have a house full if I could :D

19. Raggiemum71

I know what you mean. Micnation is a naughty boy sometimes. He's always chewing wires and is always up to mischief also.

I have a ginger/white moggie called Fluffy who is 1 year old. I love your Maine Coon, I love big cats :)

20. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

A set of electronic bathroom scales are not horrible expensive these days. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice