Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ragdoll Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by DWR1990, Aug 5, 2019.

1. DWR1990

DWR1990 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Myself and my partner have recently rehomed a beautiful one year old ragdoll cat and are just looking for a bit of advice on how to look after her!
    She came to us as her previous owner was a breeder and she didn’t get on with the other cats.

It’s the first time we’ve owned a cat and so far, so good!

She settled straight away, will happily lay on us, mooch around the house and has pretty much just slept for the past 3 days!
    She’s using the litter tray and eating and drinking as normal.

She’s not very playful and has literally done nothing but sleep. Is this normal for this breed?

Me and my partner are both back at work tomorrow throughout the day and I’m very anxious. I know she’ll be fine as she’s a house cat and will just sleep, but does anyone have any tips to keep her occupied while we’re out?

Thanks

Attached Files:

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @DWR1990 - a very pretty girl! :)

Has she has been spayed? If not that would be your next step. :)

It is unusual for a 1 year old cat to sleep all the time. They may sleep a lot while the owner is out in the day time, but should be full of energy, wanting to run around and play for several hours in the evenings.

However when faced with new situations such as a change of environment cats use sleep as a retreat and a way of processing all the new information their senses are being met with, i.e. new scents, new sounds, new sights, new humans etc. Hopefully as she is eating well and using her litter trays (a minimum of 2 trays should be provided for her btw) she will soon feel like interacting with you.

Interactive play is one of the ways you will build a relationship of trust with her. You can encourage her to play with you by using the rod toys enabling play at arms length which she may feel more comfortable with at present.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PurrSuit-Feather-Spinning-Cat-UKmade/dp/B01H463R2U/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=2VDV9YRV0DSG5&keywords=purrsuit+feather+cat+toy&qid=1565044700&s=gateway&sprefix=purrsuit,aps,132&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1

(Ensure these rod toys are put away safely when you are not actually playing with her),

Also, throwing ping pong balls for her to chase, or even screwed up balls of paper, may be popular.

When my cats were a year old they loved the play tunnels like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homieco-Tu...&qid=1565044962&s=gateway&sr=8-59-spons&psc=1

I had 3 of these tunnels which I tied together so the cats could race around them. You can play with your cat by throwing cat nip toys or balls into the tunnels for her to chase, or by playing hide and peek-a-boo with her, ;)

Toys for her to play with when she's alone --- cat nip toys are well liked by most cats. Mine love the Yeoww cat nip toys, especially the rainbow, the banana and the apple:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YEOWWW-124...nip+toys&qid=1565045178&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4

Also you could buy her a puzzle feeder and put some dry food in it for her. That should keep her occupied for a while. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Cat-Activity-Fun-Board/dp/B001O8L2UO/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb?crid=2AZO73ZUGZXGC&keywords=puzzle+feeder+for+cats&qid=1565045281&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=puzzle+feeder+for+,pets,128&sr=1-4

#2 chillminx, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Some excellent advice there. Have you also taken her for a vet check to make sure she is healthy, as this could also affect how active she wants to be.

I hope she gets a clean bill of health, she looks adorable!

4. DWR1990

DWR1990 PetForums Newbie

Thank you. She really is stunning, and so affectionate.

She hasn’t been spayed yet but the previous owner advised me not to as she’s a housecat and said it can affect their temperament?

We’re gonna let her settle a bit more before taking her to the vets, but she’s fine eating and is using the litter tray.

We bought her crinkly tunnels to play in, toys filled with catnip, wands, balls with bells in. Not interested on anything! We’ve even tried paper bags and cardboard boxes but she’s not bothered.

The only thing she seems to really enjoy is a little felt tent we got her.

5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

:eek: I don't know where the previous owner got the idea from that she doesn't need to be spayed, but she certainly does! It is only likely to have a positive affect on temperament, making them calmer and more contented although in this case, she is calm anyway. But if she is not spayed, she will become very restless and will come into season regularly, howling all day and night and trying to escape at every opportunity! Plus she could develop Pyometra or mammary cancer.

So definitely book her into the vets to be spayed. But before she has the operation, I would also advise him to do some tests including a full blood panel and checking g for heart murmurs. Ragdolls can be prone to heart problems, it is a genetic problem in some of them. This could cause her to be less active than normal. Please get her screened for HCM before anything else.

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@DWR1990 - what very odd advice for the breeder to give you about having her spayed! :confused: .

As Treaclesmum has said, your cat will be much happier once she is spayed. If she is left as a queen she will be at the mercy of her hormones, coming into 'call' (heat) every few weeks or so, and desperate to find a mate. She may try her hardest to get out of your house to look for a mate.

As I assume you do not plan to breed from her, she will live a miserable life if she is left unspayed and not allowed to mate and breed.

There is a chance that left un-neutered she may start spraying urine in your home, as her way of scent marking. Entire cats (male or female) are known for this, although to be fair some 'late' neutered cats also do the same, but the risk is less.

Plus as TM has said. leaving her un-neutered without her becoming pregnant would be putting her at risk of a serious illness called Pyometra, (a womb infection) and at risk of mammary cancer later in life. I would get her spayed a.s.a.p.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/reproductive/signs-pyometra-cats

I have never in all my years of living with cats heard of a case where a cat's temperament changed for the worse after being spayed. I see a lot of un-spayed cats in the Shelter I help run and in every case they are happier cats for being spayed.

As she is not interested in playing, it sounds as though, sadly, no-one ever bothered to play with her in the breeder's home, and therefore she doesn't understand the concept of 'play' . I have seen this in rescued young cats who come into the Shelter. They do not respond to play, toys mean nothing to them. But most of them, given time, do learn how to respond and then they enjoy it. :)

It sounds as though your little poppet has landed on her paws with you. :) She will have a good life, being cherished and adored by her special humans.:)

Treaclesmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice