Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Raffles cockerpoo itching

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenRetrieverman, Jun 22, 2019.

1. GoldenRetrieverman

GoldenRetrieverman PetForums VIP

My brother got a 11 week old cockerpoo from Raffles. hes had it for nearly 2 weeks and she is really itchy and nibbling herself, her ears are waxy. He purchased from raffles as they are said to have a good reputation, i would be very annoyed if i purchased a puppy with itchy and waxy ears. She has also had diaorea. He switched to burns puppy from raffles own overpriced food `oodles` which we thought could be too rich. She has stopped having the runs but is still really itchy. I cleaned her ears and they were quite mucky. I'm thinking it could possibly be yeast overgrowth? Has anyone got any ideas?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Could be allergy related if her ears are affected...but to what is anyone's guess. The main cause is usually environmental then food. At least with Burns food you have limited ingredients, so limited to amount of stuff they could be allergic to..

So first would be looking at home for things like biological washing powder, fabric conditioner, air fresheners..outside allergies are usually grasses, pollens, fungus that kind of thing which are hard to avoid.

The vets is a good person to have a chat with, about the itching. It's worth talking to them.

With yeast overgrowth you usually get a specific smell.

Raffles...had a quick look and errr not impressed especially when they use this ideology
    The beauty of a hybrid dog is when you cross two pedigree dogs, you can/may limit/remove the common health problems commonly seen in a pedigree.

3. GoldenRetrieverman

We look after her on a Thursday and I got some Lintbells yudigest plus. My dog is always itchy when she's a bit loose. I will tell them about the washing powder etc. I did suggest they get her anal sacs emptied, I know it makes my dog very itchy when they need emptying.

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Was she itchy straight away on day one of leaving the breeder - or did it start after a few hours/days of being with your brother? I cant really offer any help at all but thought it might be worth mentioning that when my tibetan terrier was a pup, he was very itchy all over (no ear prob) After consultation with the vet and going through umpteen different foods, it turned out that he could only cope with single protein foods. We initially thought it was foods high in protein, but it turned out to be foods with more that one source of protein.

I wouldnt have thought anal sacs would be a problem at 13 wks. I had a look at the Raffles site - they look to be the kind of people that would be willing to help out with puppy aftercare to me. Breeders are often a great place to turn to, they know their pups best. Or should do!

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh dear, great marketing gimmick, I guess, but they should be providing solid evidence.... if they can find any.

And their price lists are mind boggling, I'd avoid any breeder who has a sliding scale of puppy prices based on colour.

O2.0 and lullabydream like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

a bit off topic but not too happy with that website. They seem to contradict themselves quite a lot , they say they are breeding true to look like the original cockapoo (which is what!) and then every cockapoo is different plus one or two other odd comments on looks. They are hybrids - no they are not, they are cross breeds. They are breeding lots of different cross breeds so are a real puppy farm. They seem to be saying it is ok to breed from a dog or bitch with PRA so long as the other is clear. I know that is true if one is a carrier but surely not if it actually has PRA. They also say they hip score all their dogs, seems to only be the male dogs for some reason. And if one has a high score it is not used as a main stud - but that does mean it is still used! Also saying that cross breeding cuts out a lot of health issues that are in pedigree dogs. Hardly, when they are using breeds that carry the same health issues. Lots of spelling mistakes on the site too. I rather think they are very clever with their wording so that there would never be any come back over anything that goes wrong but it looks good on the surface. oh and 10 weeks is very early to have a second vaccination, there seems to be a lot of evidence that it could fail at that age, and most people want their pups at 8 weeks so they do not miss out on that important period of the pups life. Be very interesting to go and visit the kennels and see the adult dogs and have a chat with them.

O2.0 and simplysardonic like this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

oh I didnt get as far as prices .

simplysardonic and lullabydream like this.
  8. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Technically it's not an issue as all pups will be either clear or carriers, so in that respect they're right.

But there is the ethical issue of breeding from a dog with a known disease, seen it done when a breed is numerically scarce in order not to further limit the gene pool, but I can't see how it would be an issue with a common cross like a cockapoo.

Also, they claim that any 'fading' of colour as their puppies mature is down to the roan from the cocker's side as they don't use silver poodles in their breeding, but I thought roan in dogs darkens with age, not fade. They're not like roan seen in rats & ferrets, or grey horses!

O2.0 likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Brown poodles nearly always fade. Toffee was a deep brown when she was born and by about 2 she was very pale on her body with her legs fast following suit. Only the tip of her ears are the original colour. I see loads of brown poodle crosses that are doing the same. I have no idea about silver poodles, never seen or heard of them.

simplysardonic likes this.
  10. GoldenRetrieverman

I actually don't think raffles are as bad as people are making out here. The puppy seems well socialized with people.. he's got her on burns grain free puppy food and she is alot better although still itchy. The vet seemed to think it could be a pollen allergy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice