Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Racoon's?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ClaireLily, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

2. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

another stupid gimmicky name:rolleyes:,surprisingly reasonably priced though.

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

You can't just make up a new breed! lol! They are basically moggies. Very pretty but I doubt mum and dad are registered. If that is what you want go for it. Racoon is a silly name too as it is a North American animal with connotations all of its own!

4. ClaireLily

It's not that 'thats what I want', what I want is a long hair tortie regardless of breed. Seeing as that seems to be a near impossibility to find within a good distance and also for less than £500 I'm broadening my horizons.

I was interested to hear some thoughts of breeders and experienced 'cat people' regarding the ethics of it and consequences. I feel a bit odd about it, as you said its £150 for a moggie and also having a background in genetics I do worry about such matings, possible health implications etc etc.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

oOOO, I completely understand the need for a long haired tortie - they really have the wow factor. I didn't particularily like the look (tortie wise) of those kittens. I'll have a think. :D Just realsied you are in Fife, I'm at Leuchars where are you?

6. ClaireLily

I'm worried my fur broodyness will take over and I will land up with a kitten that isn't a long hair tortie but that is what I really want!
    I am now emailing maine coon and norwegian forest cat breeders to try and find one but £500 is a little steeper than we wanted to go.
    The OH isn't fussy about the tortie just the long hair bit but since we have two torties already I want to stick with the theme. Any help mucho appreciated :D

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I think I know of a tortie birman - but that means a tortie point not all over colour - but is long haired.

8. ClaireLily

oooooooooo tell me more..........

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

the price for what they are is fine i think the people are at it slightly with the name though personally not keen on the markings for the "tortie" one though as there is far too much tabby stripes

10. ClaireLily

I had doubts about the tabby tortie thing until I saw this........

OMG I can't bear it I should be sedated until Oh can find me a lovely long haired tortie!

Attached Files:

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I've PM'd you.

12. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Contact the Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat clubs. Maine Coons especially have PLENTY of torties available in various shades - blue, silver, smoke, tabby or solid tortie. I have a silver tortie tabby & she's a gorgeous girl whom I found through the Maine Coon Cat Club kitten list.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice