Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbits Species

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by blackY98, Nov 11, 2012.

1. blackY98

blackY98 PetForums Newbie

What is the smallest rabbit species?? and can live as a pet?

2. Felixteteddys

Felixteteddys PetForums Junior

I think in U.K its the netherland dwarf. They have a wheight between 0,8 and 1,4 kgs. Here in austria/germany we do have a new breed which is called "Löffelohr" in english it will be called "Spoon eared rabbit". Sometimes they get a maximum wheigt of 0,6 kg but we do not breed whith them!! But if rabbits do have this special ears sometimes they never grow up. I really don´t no if you can get in UK!

Here a two of my girls

[​IMG]

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

As above the smallest breed is a netherland dwarf, but believe me when I say just because they are small that doesn't mean they need less space than a bigger rabbit. I tend to find they are much more active than the bigger breeds :p

These are my two nethies :D
    [​IMG]

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

actually you are both forgetting the polish, 0.6kg to 1.1kg

also, they are different breeds, not different species, all domestic rabbits are of the same species

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Not forgetting the polish at all, I don't think that the polish should be on the pet market and as that was part of the question I chose the nethie as the smallest breed for a pet ;)

6. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Have to agree with Bernie - nethies (Netherland Dwarf) are the smallest pet buns, but small in size they they may be - but small in character and energy they are not!!

Ours like to live life at a fast pace, and like nothing better than belting up and down the landing, binkying as they go. They are naughty too, have no morals, and there is nothing laid back about them.

Out of interest Bernie, do you find nethies harder to bond than others, or have we been unlucky?

7. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

The bit in bold is soooo true, Zooty (the sable in the pic) decided that at 1am she was going to dig all the hay out of the litter tray to then proceed to push it around the carpet :rolleyes:

As for bonding I have only ever bonded my two girls (where nethies are concerned) so I can only go on their bond. They are sisters so have never been split, (they were even spayed together so they could heal together). When I added Bluey to the group it was love at first sight, once Bluey realised the girls were too fast for him to hump he gave up and they were completely free range after about a week in total :)

Although saying all that, I did try to add Ella to the group when she first turned up but it was instant hatred between Zooty and Ella and after 24 hours it was obvious that it wasn't going to work. But then there were a couple of reasons as to why it didn't work that had nothing to do with breeds.

If I was to try to add a buck to the group it might have been different (although Bluey is buck aggressive so that isn't something I would try lol) but I don't think either one of the girls would accept another doe into their circle.

I'm rambling now :lol:

So basically my thoughts are that nethies are no different to bond than any other breed, they are just high energy so the chasing part of the bond might look worse than it would with a bigger breed :p

8. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

That makes sense. Thanks Bernie.

9. Louiseandfriends

Louiseandfriends PetForums Senior

ALL rabbits need LOTS of space. :) xx

10. Felixteteddys

Jap, no rabbit should life in a small cage :)

11. blackY98

blackY98 PetForums Newbie

Does the netherland dwarf live in hot places like the United Arab Emirates??

12. Louiseandfriends

Well, domestic rabbits are breed to be kept as pets. You would not find them in the wild, or would they survive there. :) xx

13. elmthesofties

elmthesofties PetForums Senior

I don't know a lot about rabbits but I had to ask... what's wrong with keeping polish rabbits? :S

14. Felixteteddys

Nothing! It´s just another dwarf breed just with different standarts from each country :)

15. Louiseandfriends

What's wrong with Polish? Are they too small for their own good or something? :O

16. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Polish are very, very delicate rabbits. The slightest shock can cause a heart attack :( Also as a breed they can be very jumpy and many are nippers, obviously there will be exceptions but personally I think they aren't a breed for the average pet home.

17. Louiseandfriends

Oooo! They would not do well at mine, we always have surprise fireworks or something. :eek:

18. wacky

wacky PetForums Member

my freind has had a polish buck for many years now he doesent nip and is about as jumpy as any dwalf rabbit hes very nice a good pet

19. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

That's bunnies for you - there is always an exception to the rule.

I always thought that the Polish were more "fragile" -they are a very different build and shape to the stocky little nethy, which is why they aren't a great choice for children. I stand to be corrected though.

20. elmthesofties

elmthesofties PetForums Senior

Man. That sounds awful. :(
    Thanks for telling me, though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice