Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbits & grass....advice needed....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Zippstar, May 19, 2010.

1. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

OK, this may sound like a bit of a newbie question and for that I do apologise, but I need to make sure I do the best for Rags I can (obviously).

So....do rabbits NEED to be on grass? Basically, I bought some new runs last week (as some of you may have seen here:http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/102276-rags-new-summer-hutch-runs.html) and she absolutely LOVES them - won't come out to go back in her original hutch at all :rolleyes: (don't worry, I won't leave her in there overnight, she'll be hauled out eventually). They are fully floored at the moment with laminate/kitchen lino but the floors do come out.

Up until now she's been in a run on the grass, but she never seems to eat it really or be bothered about it. I want to know your opinions on whether she needs to be on the grass to eat/play on it, or whether I could keep her on the patio in these runs as they are (and in her hutch - the plan is to hook her big hutch up with them so she has free rein during the day when the weather is nice and not cold) and give her dried grass/hay/etc instead. I have read and heard a lot of conflicting opinions on rabbits eating grass anyway, and whilst Rags has never had any sort of issues with it, I'm not sure whether it's something she NEEDS providing I give her replacements ie as above.

If I do go ahead with this I will be astroturfing/putting some more grippy stuff down instead of the laminate as I don't want her to hurt her back legs as I know laminate is slippy.

Any opinions and advice most welcome :D I will be posing pics shortly of Rags exploring her new runs :rolleyes:

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I dont think they actually need to be on grass, mine arn't(well they have some pretty much dead turf now!) they just have patio slabs. I pick them some long grass every so often.
    Laminate should be ok, she should get used to it. I have laminate in my shed and they dont seem to slip and slide at all now, if you are worried, could you not put some carpet on top(if she doesnt wee and poo over it! :p)

*Heidi*

3. Zippstar

She digs at it - the people who sold me the runs included a small handmade house that goes inside the big run for free bless them, and thats carpeted inside. Or should i say, 'was'. It's now carpety/fluff lol. Hmm in that case I think I will go ahead with keeping her on the patio; she doesnt lose out and the lawn won't die off any more than it already has where she's weed/pood etc.

#3 Zippstar, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Mine are on hay all year round because the ground is too hard for Molly's hocks. They get a bowl of fresh grass every day though but its not essential. As long as they have hay, it's not important.

5. Zippstar

She always has hay in her hutch and now in her new run as well because they are soooo much easier to clean. thanks guys you've put my mind at rest :D!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice