Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bunnyboo34, Aug 13, 2009.

1. bunnyboo34

bunnyboo34 PetForums Newbie

hi every one i am getting a rabbit and i read books and they all said two doe can live together but the lady in the pet shop said they could not what should i do:confused:

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

different people will say different things,
    u are best off getting a spayed girl and a neutered boy from a rescue centre as they will be great friends with no fighting and save u having to have them done, if u pick 2 different bunnys they will even bond them for u, they also have lots and lot of babies at this time of year.

2 girls can a do fight because girls are more territorial. most books are very out dated. however this said some girls do get on, but its not really worth the risk unless u are prepared to buy a second hutch and run and pay for vets bills for bites/scrathes

2 boys will fight too for dominance, this is less likely with 2 neutered boys but still possible and they can kill eachother.

forget the petshops they usually know nothing and have bad stock go to a rescue center or if u have to contact a brc breeder in your area

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

also read the Important information for new rabbit owners thread at the top

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

yep agree with emzy, please dont buy from a petshop, a neutered female/male bonded pair are best :)

5. bunnyboo34

thank you so i don,t need the same sex but how old would thay need to be to get there injections :confused::eek:

6. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

i have two girls and eventually they started to fight n hump etc. i had them neautered and life is rosey again, they are the best of friends

7. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

same sex pairs work ok as long as they are together from the begining and then later neutered or neutered before and the slowly introduced but it is easier to bond a male to a female. you can often take in already bonded pairs though, i took in two girls not so long ago and im looking into adopting a pair of boys aswell now.

8. bunnyboo34

how old do rabbits need to be to get neutering and to get its vaccinations like vhd and myxomatosis:p

9. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I have two sisters together who are 9 months old, they recently raised a litter together and are best of friends although this may not be the case with all rabbits.

They will be getting spayed soon, ask you vet about the vaccinations and enutering and prices you will probably find it far far cheaper to get bunnies from a rescue who ahve already been neutered and vaccinated than buying them and getting them some yourself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice