Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit tails?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Sep 7, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I was just in my 'raw shop' and they had rabbit tails for sale, in the area where they have treats and toys. (At first I thought 'ohhhh poor bunny!' but then I realised that the rest of the poor bunny is in the freezers and it's good they use as much as possible of the animal IMO).

I got two for Kenzie and in my mind thought they'd make a great little toy for her to chase around the floor. However, when I gave it to her, she just chewed it and pulled all the hair off it, until I took it off her. I didn't want her to eat it because I didn't know if it was safe.

Has anyone come across rabbit tails for sale before and know what dogs are supposed to do with them?

They also had possum tails for sale.

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I believe it's harmless as i've seen a few people attach them to poles and use them as flirt poles.

3. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

Do you know those things are protected over here??? Nearly freaked when I found out!

Chewing and pulling hair out sounds untidy but fun! Also sounds like Tess playing with Rex:eek:

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Isn't it funny that they can be protected there and a pest here!!! Horrible things.

5. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

Took me for EVER to get used to it. I can cope with the little ringtails but the bushy-tailed possums... from noxious vermin to protected animal!!!

They get in my Liquidamber and p1ss all over my car. IT STINKS! All I can think is "shottie" and glare at the little beasts impotently.

6. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Is that because their not native to NZ but are to Australia?

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes - they haven't got any predators here and destroy our native trees, plus they compete with our native birds for food and eat eggs and chicks.

There's quite a good possum trade here though - the raw shop sells possum meat, you can get possum socks, hats etc.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just bumping -what should I do with the 1 remaining tail?

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

When mine have whole bunnies, they eat everything - fur, tail, the lot! So it won't harm her if she does fancy a nibble! - providing they are meant for consumption, and not treated in any way? If you'd rather her not eat it - how about making a small flirt pole for her? She's a terrier - she'll love it!

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well that's the thing, I don't know if they are treated or something. I guess I should have asked!

I keep hearing about flirt poles - I'll have to look into them :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice