Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit spay

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Abbie Holland, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Abbie Holland

Abbie Holland PetForums Junior

Hi yesterday my rabbit Betsy was neutered. When we got home obviously she was quiet and not moving much. Later than evening I sat with her and kept giving her different things to convince her to eat and she did eat a few bits of apple, carrot hay, and very little bit of hay. This morning I’ve got to see and she hasn’t eat anything this morning, and apart from the small amount of poop and wee she did yesterday there are no more. Also tried giving her the meds but she’s a right madam and I knew that was going to be hard anyway. When should start panicking about not pooping? And how can I give her the meds when she won’t eat anything to tempt her with it? Thanks

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

If she continues to refuse food you will need to syringe feed her Critical Care. I'm very surprised that your vet did not send her home with some. Please contact your vet and discuss this.

3. DoricBun

DoricBun PetForums Newbie

Did your bun end up being ok?

My bun was just neutered in Sept last year, and afterward she was feeling very sorry for herself, just went and hid away, wouldn't eat or go to toilet for a good day or so.

The vet gave me away some syringe food that I had to mix with water. My bun seemed to like the taste of the pain meds and would happily take it, even though it smelled awful!

The first 24 hrs was really difficult, as she was a very different bun, subdued and grinding teeth, but the vet told me just to give it another 12 hrs and keep an eye on her.

By the end of the day she was going to toilet, back eating, and even coming back out into the house for a wee explore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice