Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit Owners!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Adz_T, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Adz_T

Adz_T PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone, this is our first post on the forum. We joined because of this section mainly, and to help where we can if possible!!

My girlfriend and I own two rabbits, one is a male Lionhead cross(not sure what with though!) called Chester and the other is a girl dwarf lop.. well at least I think so! Called Pixie. :)

We will post pictures up later today and hopefully some of you will be able to tell me what the actual breed is for each of them :)

We have owned the Lionhead for just under 4 months, and he is nearly 6 months old. I've owned the lop for 2 months and she is nearly 4 months old!

They live outside in seperate hutches. The lionhead is in a double and the lop is in a single on top of it. They are spoilt by girlfriend and I, they are changed twice weekly and are fed Burgess Excel pellets for Dwarf/Junior rabbits and the Burgess Excel timothy hay with dandilion/marigold. We have also introduced spring greens, carrots, apples and pak choi - mainly to the lionhead, as he is older.

We have introduced them about 3 times on neutral ground and they seemed to not even bother about each other, which we were happy about. After we were sure they were familiar with each others smell, we tried to let them meet properly.. eg. walking around our living room and bumping into each other. This went very wrong.. Chester was interested and was quite submissive considering it is 'his' room, what I mean by this is that he spends a lot of his time in the living room so we think he's made his mark wherever possible, I thought he would be the fighter if there was one. He had his ears up and had a sniff of Pixie and then suddenly bit his nose, we could tell it hurt him and then he moved back, Pixie then jumped at him and they were locked at the mouth for about 20seconds while we did our best to seperate them, it wasn't a typical rabbit fight, they were grunting/growling while.. what looked like biting each others faces. Chester didn't have a scratch on him, however Pixie had a cut above her nose and on the side of the face in the whiskers, she struggled to drink but we kept her indoors for a while to make sure she recovered, which she did no problem! They are both in good health now and both love attention, but if Chester has been handled, Pixie smells him and bits the hutch and gets very aggresive!

We will be getting them both neutered/spayed in the next few weeks before they meet again.

Well, thank you for reading the wall of text.. any comments, advice or tips are very welcome :)

I will upload the pictures of them later today! :)

Thanks,
    Adam & Amelia

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

I wouldnt have tried letting them meet until there both neutered and you allow at least 6 weeks for hormones to settle. Females and males can be funny if not neutered towards each other as well as the chance of a unplanned mating. You need to do meetings when neutered and a 6 week period has passed on neutrel grounds even better through some mesh until there use to etc others scent. Lion head rabbits are some times are not as laid back as other breeds. Your have to see how it goes. Not all rabbits bond .

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

hiya and welcome to the forum.
    your lucky it was a fight and not a litter of babies lol
    are you 100% sure of there sex?
    dont worry alot of people make the mistake of not knowing rabbits need proper bonding before meeting straight away.
    im sure you will get lots of help and advice on how to bond them properly after there both neurtered.

4. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Hi Adam and Amelia!

Cant wait to see pictures!

Thats a shame about the fighting. I do honestly think that once they are neutered and spayed then they will be much better! And as Sullivan says you are best to do it on neutral ground, where none of them have been! I first tried to bond Barney and Dexie in the bathroom as it was the only place none of them had been! Once they have both been done and settled after a few weeks then just try putting them together for small periods of time and hopefully you will get there in the end. Another thing to consider if you dont want to do the bonding as it can be quite stressful at times is get a rescue to do it for you. They will take them both for you and bond them for a small fee which is much easier and they shouldl come back all loved up! Good luck x

5. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Hello!

Looking forward to seeing the pics! I had a lionhead cross once (Nala) and never knew what she was cross with so will be interesting to see if yours looks like my one did!

Nala was re-homed twice for 'being vicious' but she was such a sweet little bunny and was never aggressive with me and enjoyed cuddles, I think she'd been pulled around by children in her previous homes.

I partnered her sucessfully with two rabbits in her lifetime (all rabbits were neutered though) one was an old boy who she gave a new lease of life to but she was only 4 months old when they first met and so she outlived him. My current rabbit Sugar was Nala's other partner but she sadly passed away last year and so Lottie now keeps Sugar company-got pics of both on my profile page.

I'm new to pet forums too but everyone here is really nice and offer great advice!

-x-

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

they sounds beautiful
    I'm sure they'll get on eventually :), if not u could get 2 more 2 bond to them if you go to a rescue they can help u bond ur buns

7. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Would love to see some pics :) I have a male lionhead that was recently neutered and am looking at bonding him with a dwarf lop doe!

I hope they get on after their ops, they sound very much loved and well looked after :thumbup:

8. Adz_T

Adz_T PetForums Newbie

Hello again everyone!

Sorry we've not replied sooner, but thank you for all the replies!

We met them hoping they wouldn't mate.. but we wouldn't have a problem if they did, we could manage another 1 or 2 and I know a few people that would take/buy them from us. It doesn't matter as that was the last thing on their minds!!

I knew that getting them done can reduce their 'moods' and make them less terrortorial. Hopefully when they've been done they will be best friends!

NOW FOR SOME PICTURES!

Well, to start here is the Hutch arrangement, the plan was to make a hole in the single hutch's floor and make a ramp.. making a three-level hutch for them to share, obviously I would only make the three-level hutch once they have both been neutered. Here is how it stands today:

[​IMG]

Now for the real pictures... [Click on them to enlarge!]

CHESTER - MALE - LIONHEAD (CROSS??)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favourite pictures:

[​IMG]
    "WHAT YOU LOOKIN' AT?"

[​IMG]
    He does this when we go outside, it means "STROKE MY NOSE!!!"

[​IMG]
    My all time favourite picture!!!

PIXIE - FEMALE - DWARF LOP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comments welcome as always!! :)

9. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

You lionhead is utterly gorgeous!!!!! he has the fluff of a lionhead but the face and ears of a lop?! I would say he is deffinatly crossed!! (if you look at my profile there are pics of my little lionead and you can see what I mean by the faces)

Both very cute!!!

10. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I just found this whilst looking for rabbit colour advice, Chester looks like a lionlop!!

Rabbit Breed Info

11. Adz_T

Adz_T PetForums Newbie

Wow, good find!! He did look a lot like that when we got him :)

I love the fuzzy bit on the top of Chester's head haha!!

12. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

How old is he now? I'll have to get some recent pics of Pepsi up, he has lost all his fluff apart from little side beards and this big long peace between his ears that looks like a giant quiff :laugh: Lionheads are great!

13. Adz_T

Adz_T PetForums Newbie

Reading the 'Lionhead Lop / LionLop' section, it says:

"Lionhead Lops (Lionlops) are a lop rabbit, with a mane around their head/neck and ears. The fur is not as thick as the straight eared Lionhead, and is only around the head, and does tend to thin out further as the rabbit grows and undergoes the moult. Again, these breeds are low maintenance, apart from a metal comb through once a week/fortnight to keep stray shavings and tangles at bay. They are very laid back rabbits, have excellent temperaments and do make wonderful house rabbits and companions also. They love attention and love to be picked up, cuddled and handled. They are also very easy to house train. Lionhead Lops are slightly larger than Lionlops. They are a relatively new breed to the Uk therefore the size/weight does depend a lot on the parentage/pedigree."
    - Taken from [http://www.rabbits-online.co.uk/Rabbit_Breed_Info.htm]

That describes him perfectly! He is older and bigger than Pixie, and Pixie was the one to start the fight, Chester was defending himself.

As I've said when Chester has been handled and Pixie smells him, (refer to ther hutch picture on page 1) she bits the mesh and attacks it. Whereas Chester is not remotely botheted when she has been handled prior to him being handled.

His coat is really easy to manage every other week he gets a bit of a tangle/lug under on the back of his neck, but it combs straight out. Only once have I had to cut a lug out.

Chester loves the house, he runs up the stairs and lies down half way lol (see pictures on page 1). He always 'Binkys' while running or on the spot. He's always chuffed to be on the big rug in the living room!!

Pixie is a lovely rabbit though, she is quite timid and when we let her have a run in the living room, she doesn't do much for a few minutes, we think this is because she can most likely smell chester, the fight also occured on the rug in the living room! Once she is comfortable though we can't catch her!! :p

14. Adz_T

Adz_T PetForums Newbie

He is just nearly 6months, I think he has stopped growing now, he grew quite quickly but he has barely changed over the past 2-3weeks though. The only problem is that he maults a lot! If I pick him up and I have a fleece type coat on, I get COVERED with the hairs!! He's a cheeky sod too, he always bites my shirt buttons lol.

15. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Ha ha!!! sounds familiar!! Pepsi is also 6months now, he was castrated last week. They have such a lovely and cheeky nature, very curious but friendly with a bit of attitude thrown in :D

16. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Awww they are both beautiful!!! :D

Please dont breed from them though you need to know their genetis history and there are so many baby bunnies in rescues right now and not enough homes. Get them both neutered and will help with any advice you want on bonding, ive just bonded my four!!! That was stressful lol!

Also your hutches look very small, how big are they?

17. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

they really are beautiful, I'm sure they would appreciate the hutches being joined, they might also like a run attached to give them space to play in all the time. the more space tends to make them more friendly :)

also I dont think you would enjoy having baby bunnies, they take up a lot more hutch space than you currently have, and you should avoid crossing breeds especially without knowing the genetic history of your rabbits, you dont want babies with bad teeth etc

I would also think now is a good time to have them done, look around for a decent rabbit vet, then you can start bonding them sooner and they'll be super happy :)

18. frags

frags PetForums VIP

19. Adz_T

Adz_T PetForums Newbie

Hello again :)

I am aware the hutches are not huge, but they are big enough for now, that is why i have been considering a 3-level hutch. The sooner they get along, the sooner I can make one big hutch. Meaning, the sooner they are done then the sooner they will have more space! :p

I have been considering a run but I am just struggling for space, that is why there are on top of each other. You see the door opens up against Chester's hutch and on the other side goes down to the shed and garage, and if I build the run outwards, we cannot get down to the shed and garage! .. so bit of a nightmare.. I compromised when I thought of connecting the hutches together, I will most likely buy the wood and design a third level, then scrap the hutch Pixie is in, it's a bit naff, I got it free so. Any advice you can give me on space saving? :p

We do try and let them both have at least an hour of running around the house daily. Sometimes they don't get that as we work funny hours sometimes. Any chance we get they are let out. The last thing I do before I ever leave the house is make sure both of them are ok in themselves and have plenty of food and water.. it is also the first thing I do when I get home, oh, and give them both a cuddle (Pixie first :p) as I'm sure they miss us!! :p

About breeding, we didn't 'want' it, but we were not going to frown upon it.. if that makes sense. If they did have a litter then we would do our very best for the new born bunnies and do our best to look after them and eventually find them a nice home. I would certainly ensure the new owner knew exactly what rabbits expect and need of their owners, Amelia wouldn't let them go though, she'd knock down the BBQ and remove all the tables and chairs and have a massive hutch built if it came down to babies :p. I knew not knowing their past could be dangerous but just trying to introduce them went t!ts up so no need to worry!!

Thanks again for the replies and I really appreciate the advice and tips. I will CERTAINLY need help when it comes to bonding, I didn't know rescues could do it for you? How much does that generally cost?

Adam & Amelia

20. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh crikey you only let them out an hour a day :( out of those tiny hutches!! Thats really not acceptable at all, if you are having a problem with space you most certainly should be frowning on breeding for the welfare of your rabbits. Rabbits NEED space, RSPCA recommends min 6ftx2ftx2ft hutches and min 7 hours exercise a day.

Rabbits cant just be shoved in a tiny hutch and only allowed out when you have time. :eek:

I dont know where abouts you are but could probably recommend a rescue to help bonding i doubt they would ask for mone outright just a donation but ive bonded lots of bunnies and would of course talk you through it once they are both neutered. I would sell the double hutch as a guineapig hutch, the hutch above isnt big enough to put anything in in my opinion. How much space do you have? If you have a shed and garage can they not go in one of those?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice