Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit not eating hay

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by MxP, Oct 7, 2019.

1. MxP

MxP PetForums Newbie

Hello,

My rabbit is not eating any hay (if any it's done when I'm not looking at him, and is so negligible that I can't notice how much).

What can I do to intice him to eat hay?! I've tried everything I can think of.

The backstory:
    1) We got him from a family who claimed they were allergic and also getting a dog. When we got him they gave us guinea pig food (not rabbit food) and didn't seem to have given him a name.
    2) He has since had neurological issues which we managed.
    3) Last May he was neutered while under for a teeth filing (as well as another tooth just falling out while this was being done).
    3) He just had another teeth filing done about a week and a half ago. Since then he hasn't eaten hay. His tongue got some stitches which have pretty much healed, and there's another lesion which hopefully with the antibiotic has healed completely. (He has started eating pellets though, because he was also going into GI stasis because of his teeth so we can't only have hay if he won't eat it)
    4) He has never been a fan of hay, only eating a little bit. This is the cause of his teeth having so many problems.
    5) I have tried botanical hay, orchard hay, and about 5 different brands of Timothy hay. He won't touch any of it. I threw parsley and carrot tops in with it. Didn't help. I put some of the medicine he loves on a piece and he wouldn't take it. He simply throws the hay around.

Help please! Any suggestions are very welcome! Thank you!

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Keep encouraging him to play with the hay. Have you tried Readigrass sprinkled on top? That can entice buns too munch the hay too.

3. MxP

MxP PetForums Newbie

Hello and thank you for your reply!
    Unfortunately I'm not from the UK, so we don't appear to have Readigrass here. (I know this is a UK forum, but haven't found an answer anywhere else so I thought I'd try.) We have something similar (sort of) here but he doesn't seem to like it much. Will keep trying!

I will keep trying to get him to eat it by playing too. He started to play with a hay block we gave him yesterday, but he mostly just throws it and rips it apart, then pushing it away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice