Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit not doing well:-(

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JasonR, May 13, 2010.

1. JasonR

JasonR PetForums Newbie

My rabbit Bob isnt doing too well. Hes stopped eating last night and he isnt passing any feces. But he is drinking. He will get up and move around.He wont even go near his food. We tried givin him treats but when he sniffed it he ran back into the cage and huddled in the corner. Right now hes laying by his water bottle. I think i mightve heard clicking so he may be grinding his teeth. Hes acting like his back end is hurting him. I called all the vets around me and nobody takes rabbits in. We dont know what to do and any help is really really needed

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

You need to try him with something soft, incase its his teeth. Weetabix or Bran Flakes soaked in water are worth a dry, as is pineapple juice. You need to keep food in him, if he stops eating totally, his stomach will stop and its very very serious for rabbits. You may have to force feed him, have you got any syringes or anything like that you could use?
    If you can get to a shop and get some veggie baby food(stage one) and try that aswell.

Where abouts are you, someone might know of a vets?

*Heidi*

3. JasonR

JasonR PetForums Newbie

Thanks,it seems like its his butt thats bothering him. I didnt think of the pineapple juice.

Im from NY the only state in the US that will get all 4 seasons in 1 week lol.Im pretty strapped for money(just had a baby boy) and all the vets that take in rabbits are 1 to 4 hours away.

UPDATE:He JUST took one of his favorite yougurt treats. Were gonna try and replace his food. Hes takin little bites out of it.

UPDATE ll:Well we gave him a tiny piece of cucumber and hes liking it.And we gave him some cereals.N Oat O(like cheerios but no sweetner) and a few crispy hexagons(hard to describe but theyre an oat ceral)

Can I give Bob some oatmeal?

#3 JasonR, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. hazyreality

Yep, Oatmeal(porridge) will be fine, just soak it in hot water for about 10 mins, then pop a little bit of cold in it to make it mushy again. Try anything that you think is safe!

*Heidi*

5. JasonR

JasonR PetForums Newbie

Well hes doing better,had us worried,hes ALMOST to old Bob,we got him some timothy hay. He ate his cherrios and the rest of his yogurt treat.

What could have caused this? I want to make sure Mr Bob dont get sick again like this:-(

6. Hellsbells

Hellsbells PetForums Junior

This might sound daft but have you have a look at his bum?? Is it clear or can you see wet poo around area?? Mine used to get a kind of constipation. I could hear his tummy gurgl and a tummy massage used to help once he'd started picking up like your is now. Rabbit guts can stop working and they often need stuff to get it going again - you may have cured by the sounds of things but could happen again so worth keeping a close eye on what he's eating to see if its IBS type reaction to something in particular. Keep a food diary if Bob has a varied diet - although it should be pretty simple diet to keep them regular!

Also check his feet and nails - with you saying back end it could be his hocks are sore or overgrown nails.

7. hazyreality

You need to make sure that he is eating 80% hay very strictly now, because its often a lack of fibre. Only give a little bit of rabbit food now. Hope's was because of a lack of fibre because he couldnt eat hay because of a lack of teeth.
    Just keep a very close eye on him, and if it happens again, you know what to tempt him with just to keep him eating. :)
    Well done :)

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice