Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit nail problem

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Toriiiaah, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Toriiiaah

Toriiiaah PetForums Newbie

Hi all!

Whilst trimming one of my rabbits nails today (usually trim every 3-4 weeks as my rabbits hate being handled, brushed or having their nails clipped) I saw that my rabbit had one nail that was very short and curled sideways ( like a physical 2 loop tiny curl). I’m very worried that it’s uncomfortable or even painful for her but I’m not sure whether it’s something I can sort out myself or need to take her to the vet for or if there’s anything that me or a vet can do..

I was wondering whether anyone else had this problem or knows why this could’ve occurred, all of her nails were fine the last time I clipped them.. so I really don’t know what could’ve happened ..

I wanted to clip the curly nail to shorten it in hopes that it would grow back straight like the rest but I don’t feel comfortable with clipping it when I can’t see the blood vessel as I don’t want to hurt her..

2. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

Some nails just grow weird.
    I have a bun with normal nails on his “hands” and black nails on his feet.
    Plus sometimes they have one nail that just never grows, I suggest trying to cut it. But have a towel and some flour on hand. Nails can bleed quite a bit and putting flour on the open wound can stop the bleeding (my sister used cornflour on her rats nails, I think normal flour would work fine too)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice