Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit litter training

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Abbie Holland, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Abbie Holland

Abbie Holland PetForums Newbie

Hi, my bunny is nearly 12 weeks. Since we got him home I’ve been trying to get him to use litter trays around the house and in his cage but he just won’t, he wees and poops all over the floor and never in the tray in his cage. I’ve looked up online what to do and none of it seems to be helping. Is it possible to train him or do you have to wait until they have been neutered? Any advice would be great thankyou!

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Some buns are great at it, some buns are terrible at it!!

As he's still just a baby it may not be until after he's neutered and when he's relaxed a bit before he gets the idea. At the moment he's still getting used to all the new smells. He is also unlikely to keep ALL poops to the tray, they can do over 300 poops a day!

In the meantime, make sure he has plenty of snacks in and around the trays so he can sit and poop and eat at the same time. Something like this might help:
    https://www.manorpethousing.co.uk/deluxe-hay-bar

My two were pretty good indoors, but now they're outdoors in their shed apparently "in sight of a litter box" is enough :Banghead

3. Abbie Holland

Yes I did think that, he’s got big litter trays so I fill half with sawdust and the other half with hay. The poops don’t worry me too much it’s the wee that I don’t want all over the place I’ll just keep encouraging him and see what happens lol. Thankyou

4. Abbie Holland

Hi again, just a silly question. Is it normal for a bunny to go crazy when getting pellets. We have to hold our bunny when putting pellets in his bowl as he gets so excited! We also had to start giving him half of his measurement in the morning and half at night because he eats them so quick and then his poops go funny. He acts like he’s never been fed when we put them in

5. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

What else do you feed him, a rabbit should only get 15g of pellets a day. The rest should be hay and veg

6. Abbie Holland

He gets the recommended amount of pellets every day, I’ve been splitting the amount in half and giving it separately because he eats it too quick, and unlimited supply of hay, we don’t give him anything else.

7. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

Rabbits NEED veg. pellets is not enough. eating pellets would be like people only ever eating cereal. rabbits, like humans need a balanced diet. their diet should be 70% hay, 25% veg and only 5% pellets!

8. bunnygeek

Pellets are bunny crack. My two get them in cat treat balls to slow them down and keep them occupied, they have to have a ball each as one always manages to grab one and run off with it! One bun has learnt to run up the ramp in the shed and roll the ball back down to get all the pellets out haha!

9. bunnygeek

the rabbit here is only 12 weeks old, introduction to veg, herbs and forage has to be done gradually to avoid gut upset. They can have more pellets at this stage.

Tiggers and Abbie Holland like this.
  10. Abbie Holland

Well we were actually advised not to give him veg until at least 12 weeks and to give it only as a treat as what they need is in the hay. This was by the breeder we got him off and by a vet. As he’s so young giving him lots of veg is only going to upset his delicate little tummy.

11. Abbie Holland

Oh gosh really! I had no idea how mad they go for them! I do put clumps of hay in it and mix it up so it’s not as easy to scoff it all. I think I will look for something to make it a bit harder

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice