Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit help needed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Crazychickenlady, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Crazychickenlady

Crazychickenlady PetForums Newbie

We are just starting to expand our farm and I couldn't be happier. I am looking for advice on our bunnies as we expand their living quarters and possibly add a few more. We are building a horse barn and plan to add a 16x16 stall for our bunnies. We will have this attached to an outdoor covered pen that measures 30x30. My question is: during the winter months ( We live in upstate NY) will the bunnies be warm enough if access to the outdoor pen in completely blocked off? We will be having 3-5 inches of shavings and straw on top of a rubber stall mat along with hides and different levels to get off the floor. We have 4 bunnies and they all love each other and will cuddle to stay warm I am sure. We just want to give our babies the best ever "non cage" cage they could want. They are not breeders as all are fixed they are just pets and pieces of our family. So we want them as happy and safe as possible.

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Sounds like a fab set up! They can tolerate cold temperatures, to a point. They can probably have some snow playtime during the day if it’s sunny, but would shut them up snug and warm at night. It’s cold plus wet and wind that gets them, so you need to avoid the outside if it’s heavily snowing, or raining, and/or blowing a gale. Some rabbits are dumb enough to sit out in the worst weather and get soaked. I would avoid outdoors if it’s consistently below 10-15C.

As long as they’re able to burrow in hay and straw and snuggle in the barn they should be fine. The biggest challenge is keeping water from freezing! Now would be a good time to invest in Snugglesafe heat pads for the coldest nights, they microwave and stay warm for 7-8 hours or so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice