Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

rabbit food?? help please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by xkeeleyx, Jul 30, 2009.

1. xkeeleyx

xkeeleyx PetForums Junior

hi, i have 6 rabbits and i have been buyin wagg food weekly. which you can imagine is quite costly. someone has told me that you can buy large sacks of rabbit food but she doesnt know where from, does anyone have any advice on where i can buy this from? something round the size of 15kg 20kg sacks and whats the prices?? thankyou in advance

2. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i'm just getting back into rabbits ,but i just go to our local feed merchants ,as in farming/horses ,so far i've tried bunnymunch £11.50 for 20kg but currently trying chudleys £8.50 for 15kg ,lol but i;m sure theres better on the market

3. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my local pet shop sells large bags of rabbit food, and if you want something they dont stock they will order it in for you.

you can try asking at your local

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Depends what food you want, pellets like burgess excel are better for your rabbit, have a look online most they deliver large bags to your door.

5. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Excel is great for rabbits :) Vets say it should just be a suppliment though, and that most of the diet should be grasses, veg, plants and hay. so if they have a full diet of plants and stuff you only need to feed them little amounts of pellets!

I cant stand muesli diets.

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

totally agree with cupcake,

each pellet brand has a different ratio of fiber, protein, oils etc

I remember seeing a comparison of rabbit pellets and I remember alan and page or something with a similar name having the highest ratio of fiber. I imagine this is better if your bun can only handle very limited veg, will have a look for the link soon

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I feed my boy Excel dwarf rabbit, and agreed with what has been said. A rabbits diet should be made up of Hay, Grasses and fresh produce. A dry food should be compulsary.
    And you can get big bags of it too! Your pet shop will probably order it for you and then phone when it is in for you to collect!

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I only feed my bun a small handful of pellets every night, and then give her loads of hay everyday. This means i dont get through the pellets so quick, you can buy hay in bales from any horse stables

9. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Yeah. and if your bun is not used to so much green produce you could introduce it gradually :)

10. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i feed my buns on allen and page its £8.50 a 20kg sack and is pellet. its a great food and i also add ready grass into the mix of it which is a MASSIVE MASSIVE cubed sack for £11.
    i used to feed muesli but it makes the rabbits picky on what they like to eat and leave what they dont so was wasting alot of money.

11. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Rabbit Rehome - Choosing the Right Rabbit Food for Your Bunny is this it?

12. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i work in a pet shop, burgess xcell rabbit pellets is one of the best foods on the market, we sell 15kg sacks for around £15 (i believe) i used to have 5 rabbits at one point (3 which were large breeds) and i would have a sack last me around 1 month or even longer.

if you decided to put your rabbits onto a different food then please ensure you gradually put your rabbits onto it as other wise it will upset their stomachs (this goes for fresh fruit and veg also) ide also say that gradually decrease the amount of food you feed your rabbits

in the pet shop i work in we only feed each rabbit 1/3 or a mug of pellets per day and they have hay supplied continously and veg daily !

13. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Think i might ask my local pet shop to order in large sacks for me spesh when i get second rabbit, my prob is that i have always tried to feed small amounts of pellets and the rest grasses and hay, he has constant access to grass and hay and veg but he just doesnt eat veg it gets cut up into small pieces as he has no incisor teeth but even the woman i boarded him with said he isnt a veg rabbit, does anyone else have this prob? what do you feed yours?

sorry im not takin over your thread lol

14. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

this is the link if you can handle staring at the background

have u tried him on soft herb leaves like mint and chives, and weeds? these should be a little easier on him to eat

15. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Where do you get those from? Is it online?

17. frags

frags PetForums VIP

a pet food/horse food place in essex, its in saddlers farm but they dont deliver.
    there very good prices as the bale of wood shavings is only £8 too and everywhere else there about £10 due to shaving shortages

18. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

My lot get free range of the garden all day and only have the dry food at night when shut in the hutches so they don't go hungry through the night. At the moment with George though he's still a baby so not letting him have free range yet since he gourges on the grass when he get it. I'm giving him increasing time on the grass each day and a few greens to get his belly used to it but when in his cage he has hay throughout the day and only a few pellets just to stop him being hungry, then at night he has about half a small cup of pellets to eat through the night. Pets at home do the big bags of food but not sure on the sizes or prices since I get the smaller one.

Oh yeah by the way I've switched all of mine to the excel pellets now and they love it compared to the mix they had before. Never any waste and they all pounce on it when its put to them in the evening.

19. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

miffy likes to charge for me as soon as i open the box of excel pellets, me thinks they must put rabbit hormones in them lol

20. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Ive not actually might go get some cheers:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice