Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit died within hours of finding him ill

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ally02, Jul 6, 2019.

1. ally02

ally02 PetForums Newbie

I’m a little confused and would appreciate some opinions.

Last night I returned home, and went to feed my two bunnies, Ronnie and Reggie. I always go to them at least once a day to fill their hay, water and pellets.

They usually greet me at the opening to the hutch but only one was there. I found the other at the bottom of the ramp, he went to move to come see me and he fell sideways and couldn’t put pressure on his front legs. He managed to get himself upright and leans against the side of the hutch. With it being a hot day I tried to get him to eat some grass and drink some water but refused. After a while of him refusing I decided to bring him into the house to try and get him to drink and cool down. He didn’t even try to move much when he was sat on me. I left him in the bathroom where it was cool with some water, he barely moved and when he did his front legs gave way and he face planted the towel he was on. I decided that I’d keep him in the house for a while away from my other rabbit so made him comfy in a box with hay, grass and water. He was just laid flopped on his side not moving but still alive. I tried moving him to make him more comfortable but his whole body was just moving in ways it shouldn’t (I don’t think) his neck was slightly tilted but he could still use his back legs. Unfortunately before I could get him to the vets he had passed.

I have been to the hutch today to examine and see if there’s any clues as to what has happened. I’ve found nothing unusual other than quite a lot of small, hard, dark poo (at least half the size of an ordinary poop), I know that he was also rubbish at using the ramp and has fallen off it a few times so wondered if he could have been injured. Just concerned that if he had a disease that my other rabbit goes the same way. I also changed their pellets a few weeks ago.

Sorry for such a long post but wanted to give as much detail as possible.
    Thankyou

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

3. Dogwood1

Dogwood1 May_the_dog be_with_you.

Very sorry that you lost one of your guys.

ally02 likes this.
  4. ally02

ally02 PetForums Newbie

5. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Senior

that head tilt sounds like he had a brain injury, maybe he fell off th ramp and hit his head on a hard toy or ceramic food bowl?

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

noushka05 likes this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I think you need to rethink the position of the hutch.

noushka05 likes this.
  8. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

I couldn't agree more.

As the weather has been exceptionally hot, something else @ally02 could do for your remaining bunny is this,. I rarely venture on facebook but just popped on and by coincidence one of my facebook friends is sharing this >>>>

To all Mumma's and Pappa's of fur babies, particularly the hutched variety. (Although I think this is good advice for all animals that suffer in the heat).
    After almost losing our Guinea Pig through heat stroke, we were told by a friend about freezing a 2ltr bottle of water and on hot days to put that in the hutch. The Bunnies and Piggy will go and sit by it or on it if they get too hot.
    I tried this today for the first time and it's worked a dream!! They have both been cuddled up to it staying cool and have been licking the icy condensation off the bottle as well.

It's such a simple idea and it could save a little life!!

GIVE THIS A SHARE IN THE HOPE SOMEONE WHO NEEDS TO SEE THIS DOES!

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice