UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly hello to everyone here.

i have a problem with a neighbour which i need your help with. Over the last 6 months my neighbour has begun a breeding program of sorts. Initially he purchased some 20 rabbits of varying sizes and ages. They were all squashed into small hutches and begun breeding, as rabbits are prone to do. He now has in excess of 120 rabbits squashed into about 10 homemade hutches, they have no place to excercise and are never let out. I am concerned about the welfare of these poor rabbits. I spoke to his wife and she said that they have only managed to sell 2 rabbits so far and a few of them have died of some sort of fly infection and complained that her husband spends about £40 per week on hay and dried food. I have called the RSPCA and voiced my concerns and they have asked me to keep them informed of any changes to the rabbits condition, this is virtually impossible as i do not have access to them. I naively expected them to make some contact to at least check on the living conditions and housing arrangements for the rabbits but they have not.

I would like some informed suggestions about what i can do to reduce the harm to these animals. who would i contact at my local authority? etc

many many thanks

John

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Most councils have an animal welfare officer, so definitely give them a call.

If you were to call the RSPCA again you should say that they have little access to food and some are really suffering. This may or may not be the case but as long as they are fed, watered and have shelter there's little the RSPCA will do (of course bad living conditions and lack of exercise should also get the RSPCA round but rarely will).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much for your speedy replies. I will contact the council asap and look at the rabbit welfare association site. I am so pleased that others agree with me. I had doubts that i may be over reacting about the rabbits care but clearly i am not.

many thanks again

john

·
Registered
530 Posts
thank you very much for your speedy replies. I will contact the council asap and look at the rabbit welfare association site. I am so pleased that others agree with me. I had doubts that i may be over reacting about the rabbits care but clearly i am not.

many thanks again

john
That sounds hideous and you are right to be concerned.

Call the RSPCA again. Exagerate, even if you are unsure. The situation warrents it and if it means they come out it will have been worth it. Make it sound as horrendous as it probably is and be insistent.

I'm in Cornwall, and my local authority has an 'animal welfare' department within their 'Environment and Planning' department. It's mainly to do with licensing etc. but there is a phone number on the page which you can call to report animal cruelty. See if you can find something similar on your own local authority's web page....

Good luck & good on you for not just turning a blind eye...

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
If he has 120 rabbits...the sad fact of the matter is that the RSPCA will do all in their power not to get involved. They won't have the resources to house so many. The council are a good place to start, and if you can get other locals on your side that might help too.

Has anyone approached the guy, including his wife, and suggested that this is gone out of his control and he needs help? He could be directed to many of the rabbit rescues/rehoming sites which would slowly reduce his problem.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Sounds like its got very out of control.
An RSPCA inspector should visit and at least provide advice. Check the rabbits are correctly sexed to stop anymore unwanted rabbits. all pet sales are down hugely at the moment were in a recession!

You can report them saying they have no water or food which is the only way the RSPCA will visit. Print out or ask for some leaflets from the RWAF and put them through the door or knock on the door and offer to help.

·
Super Moderator
29,629 Posts
What a heartbreaking thing, I hope someone will be able to do something to help these poor rabbits :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
RSPCA are pretty useless and won't do much unless you say they have lack of food/water shelter or that they are so bunched up in the cages they can barely move. You'd think he'd of gone to the vet after the first litter. 120 rabbits in 10 hutches is rediculous!!

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Not enough inspectors to go round sadly, and they have little power anyway.

don't give up though - the buns will just keep on breeding, and in the end, their problem will become your problem. They probably thought they could make a bob or two, and have found out that we are overflowing with bunnies sadly.

Do try the council first. Any smells, excess rubbish, rats that you can report to get things moving??

Also, any big independent rescues nearby? Might be worth talking to them for advice.

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Oh, this sounds horrendous :( Poor, poor bunnies :(

As already explained, get the environmental health involved and try your best with the RSPCA. It's a long shot, to be honest, but worth a try.

These people need the rabbits taken away ASAP, they're living in very poor conditions!! :mad: If some have died of Flystrike, they're not being cleaned properly and probably aren't getting regular checks with there being so many. I can't see that any of them will be in a healthy state :frown2:

Once the council have been in (fingers crossed they'll take it seriously!) try to get as many rescues involved as possible; local ones and those that rehome nationally. It's a difficult situation to be in, with them not being your rabbits, but I sincerely hope it gets sorted soon :(

Whereabouts in the country are you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.