Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit and Cat

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cherrie_b, Jul 9, 2009.

1. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

So, is there a sure fire way to get my 10 week old Nethie to be friends with my 1 year old cat? Not that I want them to snuggle up together but I would like for both of them to be in my bedroom at the same time. At the minute, Lola (cat) likes to watch Jackson in his cage but when I want Jackson out, I have to shut Lola out of the room.

How can I improve their relationship?

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Very slowly is the key. Hold both of them near each other in a neutral environment reward for staying calm. Do this for maybe 10-15 minutes a day and when they're staying calm build up this time. Then you can let go of them and see how they react maybe on harnesses or something. It will take time but its worth it my rabbit and cat are best friends they're curled up together on the floor beside me now.

3. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Yeah take it easy... My old cat and rabbit loved each other thye would lye next to each other at the fire and rabbit would sit on cat...But new rabbits & cat i would trust 100% to gether just have to be carefull and dont rush things ans cat will soon learn..Mehsa sits up on hutch when my buns are outside..;)

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

one of my friends grans had a house rabbit and cat after years of living together as good friends with the occasional game of chase the cat managed to catch the bun with a claw i the eye and gave him an eye infection the old bun didnt recover and died... :(

5. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

Mt Cats and Rabbits are fine together, I never leave them alone together though they are always supervised.

It is definatly a gradual thing.

6. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Well, last night, Lola was just waking up and I got Jackson out of his cage and sat by Lola with him in my arms. I then put Jackson on the floor and sat in between them. Lola wasn't really that bothered.

I am just going to keep doing that and hopefully the novelty will wear off sooner rather than later :D She likes watching him whilst he is in his cage. He tries to sniff her through the bars. :001_tt2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice