Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rabbit advice

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Samara Nicholson, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Samara Nicholson

Samara Nicholson PetForums Newbie

Recently I decided to free range my rabbit instead of keeping him in his cage and run, however he has starting following me around the house constantly and making grunting/buzzing noises when I sit down he always crowds around me. He hasn't done this before and I was wondering if this could be an hormonal thing as he could be trying to mate? He isn't neutered yet and he is two, I was going to neuter him this year but since the recent corona virus outbreak I haven't been able to. I just wanted to know other peoples opinions on this and if you think neutering him could help him calm down more? He isn't aggressive and loves to be petted and stroked so I don't think this is an aggressive thing which I thought at first.

2. RedPanda3

RedPanda3 PetForums Newbie

I think neutering would definitely help, if it is a hormonal thing. You could try this and see if it settles down.
    It may just be that he either is a bit scared and overwhelmed at all the sudden space (if you've very gradually got him used to it, maybe not so much) and he sees you as safe, so followed you around; or it could be that he is really excited at the new found freedom and will take a while to settle down.
    Depending on how long he's been doing this, it could be a or b. If you think he is scared and overwhelmed, maybe try free roaming in just one roam to start with.
    I hope this help! Message me if you need more help.

Samara Nicholson likes this.
  3. Samara Nicholson

Thankyou for the advice! I think I’ll have to keep him in his cage and run for now as he’s started humping things when I’m near and he gets very worked up. His cage is larger than the guidelines for a rabbit cage so he will be fine in there for a few more months until I can get him neutered, thanks again!

4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Neutering will not have much effect at 2 years old as testosterone has already done it's work. Neutering is certainly not a 'fix all' solution and is too heavily relied upon when behavioural issues occur. Much better to neuter at a young age as more risk is incurred with an adult.

5. Samara Nicholson

What do you suggest I do then?

6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Neutering will reduce hormonal urges, it will definitely help. It won't fixed learned behaviour but will stop the buzzing and other behaviour fuelled purely by hormones.

Samara Nicholson likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice