Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

rabbit advice

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hammylover123, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Hammylover123

Hammylover123 PetForums Junior

Im thinking about getting two rescue rabbits for christmas. i was helped out by b3rnie choosing the rabbit now i need the supplies. What hutch could anyone reccomend for two 5 month old dwarf lop x rabbits? also ca someone write me a list of supplies i need keep finding mixed opinions everywhere that i neeed things that people in other places say no to, like apparently i need a lead for tem? :glare: i dunno nything will help thanks x

2. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Will they be outdoor bunnies? If so, a 6x2 ft hutch should be provided, with a minimun 6x4ft run attached. Or, alternatively, you could convert a shed/ wendyhouse into a bunny haven :)

If you're after indoor bunnies bunnyproof everything- rabbits like chewing so keep and valuables and wires out of the way. Lots of people use large dog crates, puppy pens or C&C Grids for indoor setups as they provide a large, enclosed space (ideally, the bunnies would get some free ranging time, too)

For healthy rabbits, a minimum of 80% of their diet should be hay- there are lots of different types but I personally find Timothy Hay to be the best for my two. Meadow hay's good as bedding. If you buy a hutch, there should be a 'bedroom' area to retreat to, but if you decide on a shed or indoor setup, ensure you provide hidey holes for them (my shed has a hutch inside it, and a cat kennel, which give the buns somewhere to go if they're frightened or need warmth).

When positioning your hutch ensure it's somewhere that's reasonably sheltered and not open to the elements as much as possible. Some hutches come with waterproof covers, which I'd recommend for particularly bad spells of weather.

Rabbits can be easily litter trained, so litter trays are good to have, and I'd avoid sawdust. Instead, paper or wood based litters are good, with some hay on top.

Obviously, food bowls need to be provided, and either water bowls or bottles, depending on the bunnies' preference (my two don't know what to do with a bottle, so I use a bowl). For food, a small amount of pellets i.e. a handful should be fed per day- do not feed Muesli, as it isn't a complete food and encouraged selective feeding!

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but other people should come along soon :)

#2 JordanRose, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. JordanRose

Oh, and you certainly won't need a lead! :p

4. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

no leads!!! no harness, nothing that will restrict them you'll only cause them stress and harm.

hutch should be 6ftx4ft at absolute minimum. run is 6ft or more. (cant recommend as my hutch needs replacing already and run i made myself)
    toys, i have various chewable toys, along with a ball that jingles, pepper loves it, tilly has no interest at all :lol:
    hay, straw, water bowl, dont get a food bowl as its better they 'search' for scattered food :) helps with boredom.
    just trying to think what i have and my mind has gone blank :lol:

5. JordanRose

Yes, chewables are always good! Balls and mats are readily available in many pet shops, as well as tunnels, which are a hit and anything that they can chuck around is always a hit with my two :p

It's likely that rescue centres will require homechecks, anyway, so the staff should be able to point out any areas of improvement :)

6. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Hi.

Assuming the bunnies are to live outside, you need to think about what you have already, and how to give them a nice big space to live in.

Your bunnies will need a nice big hutch (6ft by 2ft by 2ft). This needs to be permanently attached to a large space where they can run and play. Many people buy a hutch and run separately, and join the two together. Others buy a ready made hutch/run combo - but beware those sold in pet shops. They are never big enough.

If you are lucky enough to have a shed that you can use, that can be a great base for rabbits. Then you can attach either a traditional run or a walk in aviary type enclosure to it. Link with a cat flap, and hey presto - a bunny palace!

It all depends on whether you have or know someone with DIY skills, or whether you want to buy a ready made set up. Also, will you want to be able to go in with your bunnies? In this case, a low level attached run would not be suitable.

Other than that, you will need -

- hay - loads and loads! Buying by the bale is much cheaper

- littertray/s - underbed storage boxes from tescos/the Range/Wilkinsons are great.

- water bottles/bowls - depending on what they are using at the moment

-bag of pellets, such as Science Selective (NB bunnies should be sent to you with a supply of food. Give them what they are used to to begin with - at least a week - then very gradually mix in your choice of food if different - the transition needs to be done gradually.)

- weather proofing - eg, clear plastic to drop down over front of hutches, tarpaulins to cover hutch/run -again it depends on the set up

- a snugglesafe (heat it up in the microwave and it stays hot for hours - great in winter)

- checkout the local vets, and try and find one that comes recommended for their treatment of rabbits - or a vet trained in exotics.

- save up newspaper if you plan to use that under the hay. You will get through a lot, os ask friends and family to save them.

- some people line their hutches with vinyl flooring. You can get cheap offcuts at carpet/flooring shops

- in winter, we also pile in straw under the hay, as extra bedding to keep them warm.

- some bunnies like to snuggle up in a fleecy blanket, especially at this time of year

- forget bunny harnesses. Bunnies don't walk to order, and they can easily injure themselves.

- avoid wood shavings too - there are health risks attached to using them with rabbits.

- save up a few loo rolls and little boxes. They make great toys, when stuffed with hay and a few pellets.

- You will of course need dustpan and brush for cleaning out. We also have distilled vinegar, that we dilute, to clean/neutralise.

- a torch, for doing the rounds in the dark!!

- a scraper to get those persistent poos off!

- bin liners!

- we have a bunny first aid box too

- a nice warm coat/fingerless gloves, etc for you!

- oh, and get you camera ready, and take lots of photos!!

Hope that helps!!

JordanRose likes this.
  7. There is little else for me to add on, so I`m just echoing what others have said.

If outdoor rabbits then I think the most ideal shelter would be a shed with a min 6x4ft run attached. If you can get bigger run great! You will want a top on the run too in case it decides to rain or snow ;)
    Or you can have a 6ft hutch with a 6x4ft run with a lid.

Indoor buns need a cage, I would personally go for an XL dog crate, tend to be cheaper and more spacious if the bunny isn`t spending all its time in there, because it needs to be able to free range or at least have a large puppy pen attached also.

Then there`s the basics, littertray, hay, food, water bottle etc :)

Best of luck and we need lots of photos don`t forget ;)

8. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice