Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

''Quiet!''

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Sep 2, 2013.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Molly's barking sometimes gets too much. I quite like the odd bark, but if for example I get her lead out, she'll bark until I put it on her for example - at 6.30am (morning walk) when everyone else is in bed, this isn't appreciated!

How do I teach a quiet command?

2. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I don't know about a quiet command, but if she starts barking when you pick up lead, don't say anything, put it back and have a seat. A few minutes try again - and sit back down if the barking starts. She will soon realise excited barking means no walk.

It's the same if she barks in any circumstances - stop letting the barking lead to a treat.

3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Well in that situation I'd put the leash away and go and sit down as soon as she barked. Mine have learned pretty damn quick that behaviour like that doesn't work lol. Probably best not to try this at 6:30am though ;)

Not really a quiet command but works to stop them starting to bark in the first place.

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

To teach a "Quiet" You normally have to teach a "Speak". But I agree with the others - don't go for a walk until the barking stops.

My two chocolate 'uns have an annoying habit of meerkating (where they bounce up and down, but back legs remain on the floor) when I'm sorting their dinner out. So they simply don't get it until the bouncing stops. Or I tell them to sit and wait somewhere if they are having bowls of something and tell them when they can get their food.

Could you perhaps change your routine also? Benjie used to be a lot like Molly, bark until the lead gets put on, play tug with the lead when it was on and just be a general pain. So instead of getting him ready by the door, I got him ready by the gate. He was confused as to why the lead wasn't on him in the house and that stopped the tugging. The barking stopped after we did the lead away, sit down thing.

5. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I haven't trained a 'quiet' command but personally I'd put the lead away if she started barking. Putting the lead on is rewarding and therefore reinforcing the behaviour. Eventually she will learn that barking means she goes nowhere!

6. finleyjon

finleyjon PetForums Senior

When I worked in an animal rescue, a dog trainer told us to shout 'quiet' when they were all barking, and then give the ones who stopped a tiny fragment of cheese. They soon caught on, but I don't suppose it'd work with only one dog.

7. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

My two don't bark with the lead however my Rough collie can be quite the "talker" if we play as fellow rough collie owners will know ;)

However what I did was point at her and say "quiet". That normally gets her attention! Sometimes having your hand or finger on top of her mouth worked but that depends on how much you trust your dog or what time of barking fit she is having so not a recommended course of action for all.

8. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

I use 'enough'. Initially taught as a preventative for barking in the garden. If they kicked up at something I'd go to the door, say enough and gather them all in. Now all I have to do is say enough and they stop barking so I don't need to get them in. It was my way of saying 'yes, we'll done, I see what you are alerting me to and I appreciate the warning that the cat/tree/mouse/rabbit/plastic bag has entered our garden but now I know you no longer need to tell me'.

Now I can use it to make them quiet in the house if they start at something but I would agree with others in this instance you're better off teaching her that barking gets you no where and that silence is golden :)

9. AdMed

AdMed PetForums Member

Yep, same here, we started with "show me" when he barked to warn, and then "enough" and reward. Then we taught "speak" and used "enough" again.

It was a trainer who suggested teaching "speak", his rationale was that I am often on my own, if someone bothers me I can ask him to "speak" and if the don't know about dogs, it's a big dog barking at them which is scary, and if they do they'll just be put off by how well trained he is ;)

I've never felt the need to use it, but it reassures me more than any personal alarm ;)

10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmmm ... never taught Max to Speak (in fact, when I once tried, I stunned him into silence :lol:) but he's getting there with Quiet. :001_unsure:

I agree with the others in that 6:30am isn't the time to be teaching the Quiet command - just put the lead away and ignore her until she gives up (and if that's the extent of her barking then there may be no need to teach Quiet, but if not, or if you want to teach Quiet anyway, wait for her to stop barking, C&T. Once she's got the idea that silence = treat, then you can start introducing the command.

11. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

Oh yes!! :D

We've tried the sitting down thing and various other methods but boy is Whisper ever gobby!! (The worst named dog in England I think!). She barks as we leave the house and I used to just go back in until she was quiet.

However she still manages to sneak a bark or two in further down the walk...... :rolleyes:

12. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

This!

Right now you are essentially rewarding her barking, she doesn't understand that it frustrates you so will continue to do so unless you teach her something else :)

As above, stop the second she barks, put her leash back away and walk off. Count to 10 & repeat until the you get to the point you can put her lead on fuss free. You don't need to reward with food as the reward is the leash and ultimately the walk.

I would also leave her leash lying around, occasionally give a kick or a rattle or pick it up and move it etc. so she gets used to her leash being touched and moved about without getting all hyped up expecting a walk.

I like to put one dogs gear on first and then put them in a down-stay in the kitchen while I do the other! Two birds with one stone ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice