Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Quiet walks cheshire/lancashire

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ciarasmum, Sep 16, 2013.

1. ciarasmum

ciarasmum PetForums Member

Hi all,

Quite new to the forum, but wondering if anyone had any suggestions for quiet walks in Cheshire or Lancashire (I'm on the border between the two).

My German Shepherd Ciara is a nervous dog so we like to walk where we won't bump into many people or dogs. We go to the beach at Ainsdale and Formby somtimes as these are usually quiet, and we go to Tatton Park on a wet day when it is quiet.

Any other ideas would be really great :) preferably with water for a swim :) (for her not me :)) x

2. ciarasmum

Anyone?
    :(

3. HappyWag

HappyWag PetForums Senior

Hi
    Sorry can't help you on the walks bit, not local enough. People may be scared of mentioning their quiet walking area in fear of them becoming less so lol.
    Love the pics of your lovely dog :)

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Have you got the local OS map? There are loads of footpaths to choose and explore. Have you tried Marbury Country Park?

5. ciarasmum

Yeh I have an OS online map, so I've pretty much spent hours scouring it for places to walk, we've found a couple of walks that way. I've been to Marbury but only tend to go a couple of hours before dark so that it's mostly quiet.

I do know that people like to keep their quiet places secret, but I'd be glad to share any of my quiet places with anyone, as I know that those people would be responsible and not be those who let their dogs run up to anyone. One quiet walk we have found seems to be a haven for those with reactive dogs, but because we all understand each other, there has never been any issue as we just lead up when we see each other, and can all pass peacefully which helps the dogs I think.

:)

6. ciarasmum

BIB - thank you, I'm very biased, but I think she's such a beauty!

7. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

Have you tried The Whitegate way ?
    Whitegate Way

I walk there a lot and its very quiet during the week, you will come across one or two walkers but that's about it really. I wouldn't go at the weekend after 12ish as families arrive with their kids and bikes.
    Beauty about Whitegate is you can see far ahead so if you do see another dog ahead there is room to move out of the way.

I also walk at Delamere forest but unless you know the quiet routes it can be very busy.

How about canal walks?

8. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

Marbury park is also a quiet and a lovely walk :D
    Again busy at weekend.

9. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

Hi Melissa you are welcome to join us we are a group of GSD owners who regular walk together - you find the nervous ones soon come out of their shell, We do different walks different days such as Oaken Bank Woods near Hopwood Hall including Hopwood Hall woods, Alkrington Woods, Tandle Hills around the outside edges, Daisy Nook, last Sunday we all met at Pennington Flash, some nights/days we rarely see anyone

10. ciarasmum

Thanks for the link, will check that out! Yeh I've heard Delamere can be busy, which is a shame as it's so lovely! x

11. ciarasmum

Will PM you x

12. ad6mly

ad6mly PetForums Junior

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As the thread was 6 years old and Ciarasmum hasn't been seen here for years, they are probably sorted.

14. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

Bits of the sandstone trail are also nice as is Delemere if you park on the further out carparks and avoid the visitors centre :)

Would it be too far to head into North Wales or up onto the Pennines?

I'm originally Cheshire but my parents still live in the area.

Marbury is lovely as is the whitegate way.

15. ad6mly

ad6mly PetForums Junior

I'm over in the Pennines and wouldn't say North Wales is too far for a day out, just make sure you're happy with a few stops so your pup's alright

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice