Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Quick question

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by travisk88, Jun 14, 2017.

1. travisk88

travisk88 PetForums Newbie

afernoon all,

I have a few quick questions:

1) we are currently feeding the monsters 3 times a day at the moment, always have done and it fits well in to life schedule. My question is when should i start cutting down to two?

2) how often should I bath a white cat, or any cat for that matter? And any recommended good quality shampoos?

3) my girl keeps suckling herself, its bloody disgusting. We picked her up at 18 weeks and she lived with her parents so it may not be separation anxiety, can any one shed a light?

2. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

1) No, my mum's cat is fed 4 times a day.

2) To my knowledge, cats don't need to be bathed, unless for some reason they get incredibly dirty. They wash themselves constantly with their tongues.

3) I don't know about that.

buffie likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@travisk88 - like FTB's mum's cat my cats are fed 4 times a day. Cats need to eat little and often. They are not designed to gorge themselves like the big cats (lions, tigers etc) are, and then sleep it off for days.

Also if yours are indoor cats they needs to eat at least 4 times a day to help break up the day.

If you are out in the daytime, I advise getting an autofeeder, timed to open at say lunchtime and early tea time and then you can take over and feed supper and breakfast.

These are the best kind as they have removable ice packs to keep the food fresh. (same type without ice packs is cheaper)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/feeder-Aut...-2&keywords=auto+feeder+with+icepacks+for+cat

As FTB says cats do not need bathing unless for some exceptional reason (accident etc) they get too dirty to clean themselves. If your cat is indoors only she should never need bathing. Unless she is a Persian (I know owners of Persians who bathe their cats every few months.).

Can't see any reason why the girl would be suckling herself other than to comfort herself. But I do not understand why it is "disgusting"!! :confused: She is not doing any harm is she? Unless she is making her nipples sore I would let her be.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Quick questions back at you :)

1.Why would you want to feed your cats less often ,I would actually recommend adding a meal (4 meals) rather than removing one.

2.Why do you have a death wish :eek:, bathing any cat be it white/black/tartan doesn't matter,its not necessary unless it has managed to cover its self in something horrid or has a medical need for a bath.
    The only precaution I would advise with a white cat is that you protect it from the sun.
    White cats are prone to squamous cell carcinoma which normally affects ear tips and noses.Sun block on ears and nose or keeping indoors/in the shade during the hot sunny weather will help.

3.Why do you think your girl sucking herself is disgusting,she gets comfort from it so I cant see anything wrong with that :confused:
    My male 7 year old Raggie sucks on bare skin (humans) and I don't see that as a problem,a bit soggy yes but doesn't do any harm.

chillminx and Forester like this.
  5. RobCatGuy

RobCatGuy PetForums Junior

Our cats have always eaten in small but regular meals. One was nearly 20 and the other ones going on 19 so I'd say it suited them.

chillminx likes this.
  6. travisk88

Cheers for the reply Chillminx to be honest I just wanted to make sure that I'm doing the right thing not bathing them.

It's not so much disgusting, just sounds it and she ends up drenched across her belly. She is not sore on her nipples which makes me less worried about her, we picked her up from parents at 16 weeks old so she had plenty of time as I said I doubt it's separation anxiety and just a comfort thing . Plus we have her brother too and they seem very happy.

chillminx likes this.
  7. travisk88

Hey buffie,
    I have always had dogs this is my first venture in the kitties, so far it's going ok. Thanks for your advice and every one else on this thread for the advice we have kept it to three times a day and added a fourth in rather than taking away food.
    Haha thanks you have set me straight.

The bathing thing was just to reassure myself that I was doing the right thing, by not bathing them unless necessary.

We thought there wasn't anything to worry about but as I said as these monsters are the first we have had I wanted to make sure they are ok.

buffie likes this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@travisk88 I think you will do just fine :),I started off as a "dog person" too .
    The thing to remember about cats is that they don't see us as masters,we are not even equals [​IMG] , our only purpose is to attend to their every need as soon as they demand it ;) :D.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice