Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Quick question

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by HannahKate, Apr 2, 2011.

1. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

OK so I am getting my new cat tomorrow. I have bought a small 400g bag of royal canin because that is what he has had until now so obviously need to start off on that. I did buy a bag of applaws kitten too to change onto but when I got home and put it in my food cupboard I found the basically full bag of acana that I had for Molly. I had opened it in maybe november time and it has been sealed since she died in december. My question is whether it would still be ok to use. It smells OK so I don't think there has been too much fat oxidation or anything but I'm a bit wary. However I'd obviously like to use it if I can.
    Thought of another: I can only buy applaws kitten dry food here not the adult. I was wondering if there is a massive difference in the nutritional content or whether it would be fine to keep feeding the kitten version.
    My breeder has actually introduced him to raw meat too which is excellent. Hopefully he will know exactly what to do when I give him some :) She said he is a little glutton and will eat whatever I give him so hopefully I wont have too many problems in switching him to a mostly wet diet :rolleyes: :)

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Woohoo exciting times HK!

Have a look at the BB date on the Acana bag. As long as it was stored in a dark place and sealed then I should think it should be just fine.

Although a few peeps on here and I have managed to pull together quite a lot of info on loads of dry foods, we have some glaring gaps regarding the Applaws food that we haven't plugged yet. So, at the moment I am not able to tell you what the real differences are - perhaps give us a week and we will have the answer.

I would say though that Applaws has got a high ash content when compared to other dry foods (9.9% crude ash in the adult chicken one), while acana only has 7.5% and orijen 7% while still being grain-free products.

Raw eh? That is handy ;)

3. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

Thanks! The BB date is Sept 11 so it's well within that. I always figured that was for an unopened bag though. I suppose if it smells bad to him then he just wont eat it!
    The kitten applaws has the same ash as the adult. I know it's not quite as good as orijen and acana but it's the only one I can buy in shops here. I can order from zooplus but the dormitories where I get my parcels sent get rather stressy with my massive food parcels arriving!
    OK just compared my bag with the dry food thread. The kitten version has 1% higher protein, 1% higher fats, 1% higher fibre, 0.15% higher P and the rest is the same so it's pretty similar. :)
    He will definitely be getting some raw in his diet as well as the wet food. I just don't have enough room in my freezer for my own food so storing raw for regular feeding is out of the question at the moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice