Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Quick question........

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by HollyM, Jun 22, 2010.

1. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I was just wondering if ALL breeders give kitten packs to new owners? Thanks.

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Not all, but IMO they should. If nothing else but to provide the new owner with things like food the kitten is used to and cat litter.

Cain (one of my girls kitties) will be one spoilt kitten when he goes to his new home :lol:

3. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Thanks for the info.

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I would get a few bits in but not rely soley on the kitten pack, although it should have some food, toys, blanket (preferably with mums scent), since I just have the one going I have gone a bit OTT and bought litter, litter tray, enough food for a month an igloo bed, the works, but his owner to be knows this.

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:D You sound like me with Cain ... only he will be going with a water fountain as well :lol:

6. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

I'm not a breeder but when i have kittens i like to try and give away a few familiar things like their favourite toys, food and blanket or some other little bits and bobs

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh I forgot about onw of those.... eek he is almost 7 weeks, well on Saturday, I like 6 weeks, it sounds better :) I only have like....6/7 weeks to buy him more things. :( Not thinking about that right now though. :rolleyes:

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I even considered buying a crate as well :eek:

With any luck Cain might just end up a very spoiled cat with a musical composer as his new dad :D ... ours are 7 weeks today :( It's gone sooo fast hasn't it? Rilly is in full call today as well which doesn't help :lol:

9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I don't, not since Royal Canin stopped their kitten packs. I just give used litter and food samples.

10. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

I must admit - it really depends on the size of the litter! Smaller litters tend to have a little more in their packs whilst a litter where we have more, or two litters around the same time have not so much. Many new owners seem to love the whole "buying for their new baby" as soon as they've paid a deposit and I often get excited phone calls along the lines of "ooohhh guess what I got for (name) today???"

I ALWAYS provide the new owners with several food samples that the kitten has been raised on, and a kitten care sheet detailing vaccinations given, boosters due, worming given/due, food and litter details, all paperwork, insurance (4 weeks) and contact numbers for ongoing support.

11. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I just spoke to someone who got a kitten from the same breeder and she said that all you get is some food vouchers, a small pack of dry food and paperwork. Should i ask her for some litter as i am travelling a long way through airports etc and didn't want to lug that as well? Also should i ask her for a blanket with mother's scent? Thanks

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

When I collected Poppy I just took a little bag of Thomas litter with me and a little litter tray until I found out which litter she was used to. You could take a blanket with you and just place it on the suite/floor or something to get the scent from the hosue but I am sure he/she will be fine without.

13. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

They are currently using World's Best, i guess i will buy some today. Don't even know if you can take litter through airport security!!

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh you are flying. Oh I don't know about that to be honest. If the breeder knows you are flying she should have the cat prepared i.e not fed the kitten in the morning, I have to say even though we took a litter tray and litter, it was a 5 hour journey and she didn't pee. She did eat a full pouch of food on the way back.

15. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

If you have a litter of kittens, you have bred them therefore you are a breeder ;)

I give out kitten packs with with food/vouchers/booklets/measure cup/4weeks insurance/litter/toys/contract

I ask people to bring their own scent blankie as its personal to them and they can choose it, I used to give them out but found that people preferred to choose their own. :)

16. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

I hate to tell you this but one of the biggest problems I get told about is that people get 'free' insurance from their breeder. Why? Because although they are covered by the insurance for 4 weeks they may not want to continue with that insurer because of the cost. (My guess is that you are supplying Pet Plan cover, which is expensive to continue, although it is one of the best available).

They can't cover the animal with another company within those 4 weeks - if they do so NEITHER company will pay out. If the animal is ill during that time then although they will be covered any illness will not then be covered by any other insurance company, which basically means the owner is stuck with the company whose freebie you've supplied. Not only that - but the insurer providing the 'free' cover will also refuse to cover any illness occurring in those 4 weeks too.

You really would be doing the new owner a favour by directing them to a choice of insurers rather than giving away insurance. I know it seems counter intuitive but there are a number of stories on this site from people who've fallen foul of this.

17. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Not sure why you have directed this at me when 99.9% of breeders do this, Id prefer it if you are advertising your pet insurance business not to reply to me and use that as a opportunity to do so.

You dont know what I do for my kitten owners or who I tell them about or how I help them so dont assume anything about me please. Thanks :)

18. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

I'm sorry, I'm not directing it at you - merely using the fact that you are one of the breeders who gives away insurance. It was YOU who listed what you did - I didn't assume anything.

And whether or not 99.9% of breeders give away insurance (which is, by the way, a completely fictitious figure) isn't the point. It's not just breeders - vets do it too. The FACT remains that it can cause considerable problems for some owners.

By all means give away your 4 weeks cover but please tell the buyers that the insurance you are giving them means that changing to another insurer may prove difficult in the unlikely event of the animal becoming ill.

Let me put it another way - you are obviously a responsible breeder - the list of what you do clearly shows that. You probably (as I did when I bred pedigree cats) check up on your kittens in their new homes and make sure that they are being well cared for. In other words - you care very much for your kittens. So, if one of those kittens subsequently develops an illness that needs long term, expensive care in that first 4 weeks (and it does happen) and the new owner can't get insurance to cover that because of the freebie you've provided how would you feel?

This isn't about me selling anyone insurance. The reason I set up my site was simply because I was badly ripped off by an insurer and I didn't want it to happen to other people. If you actually go to the site in my signature there are no insurers there - but there is a page full of information about what to look for when buying pet insurance. Because I monitor what happens with pet insurance I've come across several instances of problems caused by breeders giving away free insurance. If you check you'll find a number on this forum. All I'm saying is - please be aware that what you perceive as a benevolent action may cause problems in the long term.

19. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

He promotes erm.... insurance businesses in the most un-likely places at times. :D

99.9% breeder give cats away with PetPlan if they choose to continue all well and good if not they can go elsewhere, no problem.

20. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh sorry i did not see this.

Who would you recommend, for Breeders ? Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice