Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

quick question male dog owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissusMayhem, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

Odin was neutered on monday ....
    its now friday (obviously)
    he is driving himself utterly mental without his field walk and has started running around the house like mental case ....
    vet said 10 days without a walk ....
    can i walk him or is it too soon?

2. MissusMayhem

exactly what i thought! to be honest

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We did lots of short walks straight away as we don't have a gardens had no choice vet said it was fine, bear was really poorly after this so we didn't get to off lead them till day 10 ish although it wasn't his stitches that made him poorly it was all the drugs he had during the op

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

We did lead walks straight away - then off lead after his post op check up about a week later.

5. bingblazenskyla

bingblazenskyla PetForums Member

my boy went out the same day - he NEEDS his walks or would go stir crazy and he wouldnt go and pee in the back garden so i took him out for a walk n he was fine

6. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

When i had my boy who is now aged 7 neutred we took him for road walks on the lead other wise he would have gone stir crazy

7. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

Loki was castrated 2 weeks ago today, started lead walks the day after but not to long. Then I think I let him have a run around day 5 because he was just running round the house jumping off things. Back to normal walks and runs since last saturday.
    Can't see his op scar at all now just waiting for his sac to shrink to a man-jina :blink: :D

8. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Same as above - we were told that Sonny was not allowed off lead walks so he got on lead walks straight away and then got told he could go back to off lead walks after his check up a week later. So glad as a day later Sonny had forgot about pain and was a crazy cocker again - so hard to stop him jumping about.

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Personally I just went with what my vets say and always would do, but if I rang them up saying he's going nuts I am sure they would advise accordingly on whether I could take him or not. I wonder if it matters any more or less on whether dissolvable stitches are used..?

10. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Cheeko went walks as normal and he had no problems. He managed to pick out one of his stitches but that was him chewing at them. Nothing to do with walking!

11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

When my male dog was neutered the vet advised short on lead walks not no walking at all. I think you should ring your vet and have a word with them to make sure it is OK to walk him because they may know something about the surgery that means he should not be exercised at all.

12. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

after Mouse was one i had to be extra careful with him because he had his hernia fixed at the same time and i gave him loads of on lead walks to tire him out so he wasnt bouncy and mental inside.

the vet told me it was a lot better to do that than for him to jump about pull himself.

hope he is all healed soon

13. MissusMayhem

i took him on the lane offlead
    because on the lane he will walk with me whereas on the field he run around and we went for a reasonable walk at a slow pace he's fine now currently chewing on a nice big bone.
    i rang the vet she said if he's going mad and he's showing no signs of infection or discomfort (which he's not he's his normal self aside from he's jumping on and off the furniture and running round through lack or exercise as he's used to 2 walks a day then i should talk him on a little walk nothing to strenuous
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice