Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Quick query with regards to kitten panting heavily whilst playing

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by scatatonic, Feb 10, 2020.

1. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Junior

I have a 7 month kitten. Had been playing with him for ten minutes when he suddenly started panting really heavily - he was running around like a mad thing chasing a stick. He still wanted to carry on playing and was very excited but I panicked as it seemed quite abnormal. Almost sounding like when a cat goes to cough up a fur ball - very noisy. Have taken stick away and he has calmed down - has hiccups though. He gets hiccups quite a lot as well, especially after eating, not sure whether that is normal either! Happy to be told I'm overreacting and it's normal - been a long time since I had a kitten!

2. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Getting so tired that they pant is very normal. If its more like a cough he could be about to be sick though. Hiccups is a new one on me though, not experienced that.... yet!

scatatonic likes this.
  3. scatatonic

When I stopped the play he flumped on the floor panting for a bit then started looking for trouble again! Gave him a rest but then had a laser pen toy delivered... 10 mins later panting again. I don't think he's as fit as he should be.. lost a lot of weight after he was put on a renal diet for lily poisoning. I may have overcompensated as he's now just over 4 kg which is quite heavy for his age. The hiccups he has had since before I got him - the breeder mentioned it a few weeks after I had him.

4. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Perfectly normal then I would say. He will need 3 or 4 sessions like that a day to use up all his energy

scatatonic likes this.
  5. scatatonic

Thank you - I will try to stop panicking then! I'm maybe a bit over protective because we had a scare with him.

Attached Files:

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice