Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

quick kitten food question

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Steph_Mitsy, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

just a quick question, shall I put down biscuits as well as 3 wets a day or two?

My last cat, wasn't greedy and would just leave what ever she didn't want and i used to put a kitten pouch down in the morning and then one in the evening... do you think I should do the same for my new baby? sorry if this has already been asked, i couldn't seem to find a previous thread :eek:

thanks in advance
    Steph and Mitsy
    xx

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Yes, that's a lovely little kitten-saw her on the other thread! Love tabbies!

It's good to see your emphasis is on the wet food and beyond that it's personal preference as to the dry. Which dry do you mean?

3. Steph_Mitsy

ermm pets at home brand... it's what's she been used to, I put a kitten pouch down about 3pm, and she at nearly ALL of it :eek: I have the biscuits down but she hasn't touched them? she had a her first pee too, after she'd eaten I took her upstairs to her litter box and I couldn't believe she got right down to business lol then proceeded to play in it! :blink:

she's having another nap now, actually feel asleep playing at one point, i picked her up and put her in her bed and she got out lol is now asleep next to me on the sofa :)

4. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

How many grams is the kitten pouch? My fatbums eat about 400g wet a day (I dont feed dry)

I know your boyfriend brought her home for you, does he know how old she is, and what she was fed on before she came to you?

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi and welcome to the forum.What a pretty kitten how old is she.It is thought by most of the members here on PF that wet food is the best way to feed .Have you had a read of the a-z wet food lists compiled by our own food guru hobbs. http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/112132-z-wet-food-cats.html It will help you to make a more informed choice of food to feed your kitten.Keep her on what she is used to for a week or two and then gradually make the change over.No matter what food you decide on ,any change must be introduced very slowly A small amount of the new food mixed in with the old one and increase the new and decrease the old over a few days poss.more than a week depending on your kitten.As a general rule kittens will not over eat so you can more or less feed as much as she wants to eat,over as many meals as you can manage.I noticed that you said you took her up stairs to the litter tray,it will be better if you have a litter tray much closer to where she is ,so that she can get to it quickly.You would infact be better with an other tray upstairs for a while if she is going to have access to there,the last thing you want is a kitten desperate for the loo but either cant find it or cant reach it in time :tongue_smilie:

6. Steph_Mitsy

I think they're 400g?? not too sure and i can't go check because "someone" has decided mummy is much nicer to nap on than her lovely new bed!! :rolleyes::

she's 8 and 1/2 wks, and we're feeding her now what she was eating with the breeder, well not breeder but you know what i mean :D

EDIT: got the bf to check, they're 100g's :D

wow, had no idea about all the different food types and stuff :confused: if she likes this? and doesn't have any tummy or bummy accidents, should I still change it?

also, with regards to the litter tray, we're leaving it downstairs when we're not around her to keep an eye out for sniffing or any such toilet signs ;) so like tonight when we go to bed we'll take it down stairs for her, so she doesn't have to run upstairs to take a pee or a you know what :)

you're all soo lovely on here, it's soo refreshing in this day and age to see people so willing to offer help and advise :)
    thank you all for your advise xx

#6 Steph_Mitsy, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I would offer her as much of the wet as she is happy to eat, 4 pouches is fine at this age I would think, is it whiskas kitten pouches? mine currently eat around 400g of a high quality meat diet.

Always check the feeding recommendations on the foods you get, but as a very general rule, kittens use up a lot of energy so feeding them a little extra doesnt hurt. When they get to 1 portion control becomes more important. Mine eat a hel of a lot but are keeping at a good weight.

buffie has given you a link to a really good thread about good quality foods. it would be nice to wean her off the whiskas onto something a bit better at some point, but she is still very young (its best to leave with mum til 12 weeks) so I would leave the weaning for a little bit and just make sure she is eating plenty of wet food. I would personally change it as whiskas is not a high meat content food, and whilst cats can survive on it, certainly, it is best for them to thrive, which they will do on a higher quality diet.

As for the litter, I would have two trays for her, one up, one downstairs. They usually manage to find them out easily enough but I think two is best to have.

Do you have plans to get them vaccinated soon? Usually these are done at 9 and 12 weeks :)

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

It is your choice what you feed her,but the best wet food are the ones with a high meat content,and little or no cereal/sugar.There is also no need to buy "kitten" food,there is so little difference in the ingredients and as your kitten will,hopefully eat so much any slight deficit will be ruled out.Which P@H food is it that she is eating at the moment?Have a look on the a-z list it may be there.If it is you will be able to compare it to some of the high meat content foods such as Grau,bozita ect.I'm sure if you want some advice in changing over to a high meat food we will be able to give you some ideas on the ones that are the most popular.If you decide to go for a change of food the best and cheapest is to buy on line at places such as Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus they are used by most folks on the forum for food/toys/climbers ect.It is a very addictive site :D Hope this helps.Anything you need to know or would like an opinion on ,just shout out,there will usually be someone who can help.

9. Steph_Mitsy

right, looks like we're getting another kittie litter tray then :eek:

yes, as far as i know she hasn't had any vacs yet, soon as the vets open near me, Tuesday i think, we'll be popping her down for checks and any jabs she might need :) what are the views on chipping? :confused:

ohh dear... i've just spent the last 15mins looking at that website!! lol and not at the food... :001_rolleyes::drool:

thank you soo much for all your help and advise, we're going to look at the a- z a tad later for more advise on what to get her :) and possibly that site again :eek: :001_wub:

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Micro-chipping I think is a great thing.If the worst happens and your kitten ever gets lost or injured,all vets/rescue centres ect have scanners so you can be reunited as soon as possible.My cat is an indoor cat but he is chipped incase he escapes .

11. Steph_Mitsy

cool, i wanted to get my last tabby done but the vet said she was too small, and it could have caused "complications" :(

she will be an indoor cat, at least till she's bigger, we don't have a garden but we live in a col-de-sac and all have a small front garden, we have two cats a few doors down who i often see wondering around trying to catch flys and then going back indoors, i think she'll be fine when big enough, but i must admit i think i would worry soo much if she went out of sight!! :eek:

ohh and does anyone else's kitten let out a little squeak like meow before she pee's? :lol: then jumps around all happy like when i'm sat there saying good girl in the silly voice you've ever heard :eek:

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Declaring the "toilet visit" seems to be very common although mine never did.As for the chipping the vet will advise when he/she thinks it should be done some have it done at the second vacc.,some two or three weeks later ,some wait until they are neutered and have it done while under the anaesthetic.It is a fairley large needle and can sting a bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice