Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Quick Flea questions

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Pablo_v4, Oct 1, 2020.

?

Severity of issue?

1. Early stages

2. Beginning to settle

3. Have settled already and infested all over

4. Flea epidemic

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pablo_v4

Pablo_v4 PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys,

About 4 or 5 days ago I noticed some fleas on my cat (norwegian forest cat - so long-ish? coat, 5kg) and immediately got to investigating and treating it. Over the course of an hour I probably found about 10 fleas on him whilst brushing him with a comb so I gave him the spot on treatment and a flea tablet by Johnsons.

I think i noticed flea dirt on and around him since 2 weeks before that day maybe, didn't know what it was back them just moved to a new flat about a month and a half ago so just thought it was normal dirt not flea dirt.

I sprayed the entire house with flea and tick spray a few times and on the cat a few times and brushed him over with it. In the coming days after I thought the problem was gone as I couldn't see any dirt on him or fleas. Near his genital area is where I noticed a some dirt as the hair does thin out a little down there and gets curly so it's a little easier and there is no dirt to see there even now. Until last night I investigated closer near his skin throughout his belly which is hard to do with his thick coat - but possible to do under him since he is all white below but dark-ish grey on top so impossible to see any dirt there - and found dirt deposited close to his skin at bottom of his fur. I sprayed him a few times and brushed him to see dirt come off but couldnt find a flea yet. This morning brushed him again and found three fleas.

How serious a problem would you guys say the situation is at the moment? I would like to take him to vet but to the obvious eye it doesn't seem that serious to bother a vet with and if so, how much does such a visit / treatment cost?

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Which brand of treatments are you using around the house and on your cat?

If they're all Johnsons, they won't work. You need to use Indorex or RIP Fleas in every room of your home and a good quality flea treatment such as Advantage. Other cat owners will have preferred treatments but the above are available to buy online.

If your vet has seen your cat within 6 months he may prescribe something for you to collect and also sell you the household spray. But they will likely be more expensive than buying online

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Lots of good info on the RIP Fleas website:

http://www.ripfleas.co.uk/

Read each page. Yes it contains Permethrin which mustn't be put on a cat, this is why you MUST observe the time a room should be aired for before letting a cat or other susceptible animal in.

gskinner123 likes this.
  4. Pablo_v4

Pablo_v4 PetForums Newbie

hello,

the Tablets were by Johnson’s, spray by Bob Martin, advantage spot on treatment. Are they good enough?

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Pablo_v4

Is the Bob Martin spray the household insecticide? You mentioned using a spray on the cat? Which one did you use? It shouldn't be necessary (or safe) to use a spray treatment on your cat after you have already treated him with Advantage spot-on. The Advantage will continue to work for a month after application.

He also does not need a tablet as well as the Advantage. You risk making him ill from giving him more than one flea treatment at a time. You need to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

The best household pesticide sprays are by Indorex, Acclaim and RIP Fleas. You should only need to spray the home once a year. Repeated spraying will not improve results. Be aware of the Pupal Window and keep up with the daily vacuuming to help the pupae hatch into adult fleas, I hope you did not use a household spray on the cat - they are highly toxic to animals.

R.I.P. Fleas ‘Don’ts’

[​IMG]
    Do not apply to clothing
    [​IMG]
    Do not apply to human bedding, pillows or mattresses
    [​IMG]
    Do not apply to foodstuffs, eating utensils or surfaces where food is prepared

[​IMG]
    Do not apply to animals

gskinner123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice