Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Quick advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I posted yesterday about Mia giving away food and how that has got worse lately. She has sort of eaten her food over the last two days, she has eventually eaten about two thirds but has tried to give it away and it has taken real encouragement for her to eat. We didn't notice her pass anything yesterday but she did this morning and it contained bits of food she had on monday. She is raw fed so I would expect things to go through a little quicker than that.
    In herself she is a bit subdued, but doesn't look in pain.
    Two things, should I still feed raw if her system is that sluggish?
    Would you contact the vet?

2. Yes, If I were you I would have a word with the vet.
    I did read your post yesterday and it sort of tugged at my heart strings, we don't know what these dogs go through do we.
    Would certainly get the vet to give her the once over and if you are overworried maybe you could try and tempt her with a good quality wet in the meantime

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Personally I would have her checked over by the vet as soon as you can. Presumably she is drinking as normal?

4. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Made an appointment to have her checked over at 2.20pm today. It's hard to say about drinking, I have seen her drink but there are water bowls all over the place here on different levels so I don't always see when she drinks. She also has a habit of drinking out of the toilets. She is weeing fine though.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Think you are doing the best thing getting her checked. Its odd she isnt digesting the food, which must be the case if its still identifiable.
    Good luck at the vets hope she is ok.

6. Hope all goes well - let us know how she gets on
    regards
    DT

7. Wonder could it be a (pshcopigus ) problem - sorry I have wrote that very wrong - but we had undigested food after four days and my vet did NOT believe us! said the dog must have stolen food! - just wondered if you knew anything about this as know you are pretty up on these things!

NOTE not suggesting this is the problem - really I ave done this in the wrong place havn't I

8. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Back from the vets and not much to report really.
    Mia would not let the vet examine her. She didn't do any growly warning or anything but she was displaying serious calming signals and was obviously just not going to let the vet touch her and was really anxious. (The last time she went to the vet was to get the fleck of paint off her eyeball so I am not surprised). The vet said that if there was any obstruction she would be vomiting and have the runs so in the absence of those symptoms she wasn't worried enough to sedate her. She said to keep an eye on her and see how things went.
    The vet has never heard of the giving food away thing and asked me to speak to my behaviourist and then let her know what she said.
    One good thing.....Mia is 25.8kg so has lost 2 whole kilos.
    Bad thing....vet says to aim for 24kg now not 25kg as originally suggested.
    I don't quite know how to break it to Mia .....:lol::lol::lol:

9. Sled dog hotel

As gross as this is going to sound, Im assuming that the food that was recognisable in the stools, was it by any chance vegetable matter only that was? I think dogs have a problem with digesting certain types of vegetable matter, so can come out like it went in. Thats why if feeding raw vegetables its usually reccomended to either liquidise them or at least pulp them down by crushing them. Didnt think about asking what until after, as assumed it was meat too.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sorry DT you have got me on that one, I havent heard of it.

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Sorry you didnt get much to report from the vets.
    Hope she starts to look up soon. I didnt see your thread on giving food away I shall go look now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice