Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Questions

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Kori, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hi,

Just to make it clear, I am NOT a breeder and I don't want to be. It's just that I'm new to the whole cat forum and was browsing just out of interest at some of the posts in the breeding section. I don't understand a lot of things being said and was wondering if someone could explain to me some of the terms you use. Such as, what is an active cat register?

It would be nice to read the posts and be able to understand what people are saying.:blushing:

Kori

2. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

When breeders register their pedigree cats with the GCCF (General Council of the Cat Fancy) they they are offered two options, to register on the Active register or the Non-Active register.

All breeding cats should be placed on the Active register and any cat that is sold as a pet or show neuter should be placed on the Non-Active register. Any kittens born from a cat on the Non-Active register cannot be registered and are therefore classed as moggies (from a showing / breeding point of view). This is a very basic explanation and there are some grey areas when people start talking about "reference" registers, for cats without a 'perfect' ancestry. Check out the GCCF website for more info. It's quite interesting...

This might help with some other terms you've wondered about:

Glossary of Cat Terms

xx

#2 Dozymoo, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  3. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

They can't be registered at all!

Liz

4. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Knew I'd be wrong! :D:D Isn't there a way they can be registered as "No Recognised Breed". I'm sure there was some discussion about that on a thread a while back, although I didn't fully understand it! ;);) xx

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

No, their offspring could be registered but would be no recognised breed because the parent was unregistered.

Liz

6. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

There you go Kori! Take it from an expert! :D:D:D

7. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Thank you! That glossary of terms was very useful!

Now here's a silly question - why would someone bother to put their cat on the non-active register? Why not put the cat on the active register and keep your options open? (I'm sure there's a good reason I just don't know enough about it to think of it) :blush2:

Kori

8. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Not all cats are suitable for breeding.

Some may have a fault or simply not be cut out for it.

These are registered as non-active to ensure that they are not bred from irresponsibly.

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

I am not a breeder but i believe the cats are only put on the active register and sold to people who have a genuine want to breed and have discussed this with the new owner.. also there sre some cats that just arent suitable for breeding (they may be small for their breed etc) therefore sold as pets on the non active. As i said am not a breeder myself so i may be incorrect in some counts

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It's not the owner that puts the cat on active on non active but the breeder who makes that call. So neither of my 'customers' (I hate using that term!) want their kittens to breed from so they go on non-active, despite both the girls being 'breed' quality they aren't quite show quality (tricky with birmans cos of the foot markings and that's all that is 'wrong' with my girls)and unless you did a lot of research into lines etc it would be tricky making the best of them (wouldn't want any accidental inbreeding!).

11. xxSaffronxx

xxSaffronxx PetForums VIP

wow i didnt know that liz - what category do they come under then? Is it just "unrecognised"
    im not sure i see the point of doing it tho to be honest??? :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice