Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Questions???

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Hi folks,
    All going well here. Amber proving to be the model mum and pups are all thriving.
    Will put on some more pics soon....

Right now down to the nitty gritty.....
    Have heatlamp over pups but they rarely go to where the heat is so i take it they are warm enough. Can I remove the lamp now? At 12 days can they control their temp yet?
    Amber is still refusing to eat her food out of any dish or even out of the box. We have got into routine that when she feeds pups we feed her but we have to give in handfuls at a time until she lets us know she has had enough. This has been ok up until now but the pups will be getting weaned soon and I don't want to risk any left over bits of food in the box incase they choke on them. Anybody got any suggestions how I can get Amber to eat out her dish and out the box?
    When do we take rails off whelping box?
    And last but not least......when is it safe not to sleep (ha ha) with them...

Tanya1989 likes this.
  2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Try turning the lamp off for a few hours and see what happens. If they appear to shrink up looking cold then you will have to put it back. When you say they don't go under it, it doesn't mean that they are still not benefiting from the heat. Unless they are hot, lying on their back spread out all around the box exposing their bellies then its unlikely they are not needing the heat. I'd keep it on in the night as most houses whether central heated or not seem to get colder at night due to the lack of sunlight.

I leave my heat mat their until 3 weeks as occasionally they like to cuddle up to it still, although I find they don't need it way before this time.

You can try mum with puppy porridge (whelpi mixed and puppy kibble blended up) this way she can be fed off a plte in the whelping box and it doesn't matter if pups try is, although at this age I doubt they will anyway, but it takes the risk out of choking on kibble. Really fluffy scrambled egg might be appreciated to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice