Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

questions to ask.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by carol, Feb 10, 2009.

1. carol

carol PetForums VIP

this thread is the question breeders should ask new pup owners. and pet owners to ask breeders before they GO SEE there pup.
    if you think of more questions please put them down as ive only just found one of my lists, at the moment.

SO PLEASE JUST PUT THE QUESTION DOWN.

Attached Files:

#1 carol, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Lily's Mum

Lily's Mum Banned

I think you meant thread carol but actually threat is probably more apt lol:)

3. your'e sharp tonight Lily's mum
    hahahahahahha
    xxx

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

lol
    lol......

5. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

If they say yes to having had the breed befor eyou coud ask how long they have owned the breed for. as this will give you an indication of how much they how about the breed.

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I was going to start a thread about this thanks guys :)

As most of you know i am looking for a toy poodle puppy - My mum seems to be dealing with most of the phonecalls herself but she can't be on the phone all the time while she is at work and she can't do it at home because my dad is there

So to help my mom out someone please help me in what i should ask the breeders when i call them up?

7. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Do you have children ? and if so what ages are they?

Will there be someone at home with the pup most of the day?

How long will the pup be left on it's own for through out the day?

Have you had a dog before if so what breed?

Have you ever had this breed before?

I will think of some more and add them later.

take care

Sarah

8. Animals548

Animals548 PetForums Member

can they chew on anything?

9. doggiesgalore

doggiesgalore PetForums Member

Some questions to ask the breeder.

Do you have both parents. Can they both be seen. If stud not owned by breeder ask to see photo of him.
    Can you see all the litter.
    How old are the parents.
    How many litters has the mum had.
    If there any health issues with the breed. If so, ask if they need to be tested. If the answer to this is yes. Ask to see the relevent certs for both parents ensuring they are up to date.
    Are they KC registered.
    Dependant on age of puppy -will they have or have they had any vaccinations (first one usely given at 8wks. Second one at 10wks). Some breeders arrange for their puppies to have their first vaccinations before going to their new homes.

10. doggiesgalore

doggiesgalore PetForums Member

Usually I give my puppies a puppy kong to chew on, sometimes with something in there say like peanut butter, marmite. They love it...

11. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

do dalmations have special dietry needs or have health issues specific to that breed. You could ask some more breed related questions.

Just a thought as our breeder asked us all about GSD health issues before we took her.

12. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I know this is an old thread - but I always get twitchy about the perception by prospective owners that the breeder will own both parents - when in fact - they seldom do. Occasionally, one of the breeders own dogs may turn out to be the most suitable for a bitch - but often - we travel many miles to use the right dog. Some people seem to think it is wrong not to own both parents, when in fact - owning both parents can sometimes be the easy option rather than the best :(

I would agree that you should be able to see photos of him and copies of his health certificates

How old is the dam -
    Many breed clubs now are stipulating a minimum age for Accredited Breeders - I like to see the dam being at least two before she has a litter.

The sire is a different story - it matters not really whether he he is 12 months or 12 years if he is still delivering the goods and has the required health tests - unless again, there is breed specific reason why a dog should not be used above or below a certain age. It is useful to note that most joint related tests cannot be undertaken until dogs are AT LEAST 12 months old (in the US - this is 2) - DNA tests can generally be done anytime.

========================

Before talking to any breeder do the research into your chosen breed yourself - it's useless advising on specifics to ask a breeder about health tests because they can vary so much between breeds. Do this before seeing the litter - otherwise the heart can and does rule the head for a lot of people.

It's all very well asking the breeder what health problems the breed has - but you shouldn't take their word for it - you should do your own research so you know what answers to expect. The large majority of joint and DNA testing are a one off test valid for the life of the dog, eye certificates are an annual affair.

Prospective owners should know what health tests are required and this should always be the first question - and a requirement that the breeder has the proof there for you to check (know what you should be looking for).

On a par with health tests is temperament - although in truth of the parents -although in most instances you will only meet the dam and probably the other dogs in the household - so you should be able to make a good determination from that - let's face it - few breeders are going to say the mum is a cantankerous old gnat at they?

====================================

I now microchip my pups before they leave - I don't routinely vaccinate - but if a pup is going to be with me past 8/9 weeks, I always offer the new owners that I will get them done if required.

===================================

Check the paperwork for any breeding endorsements and ask the breeder to fully explain them - and under what circumstances they will agree to lift them - I prepare a separate contract for this listing exactly what I require for them to be lifted FREE (I've heard of breeders trying to charge owners to lift restrictions and the KC will not get involved in disputes).

Some breeders also endorse their pups as "not eligible for Export pedigree" - this doesn't actually mean you can't go and live abroad with the dog - it does mean however that you cannot get full registration with overseas Kennel clubs.

It can be useful for protecting dogs from being sold overseas by new owners.

============================

If the breeder gives you a puppy pack - please read it - they often contain invaluable information such as when the pup has been wormed, what jabs (if any) it has had, whether it has been microchipped and / or tattooed, it's dietary patterns, tips on how to settle it during the first nights etc - factors which can easily be almost ignored in the excitement of picking up your new puppy.

Don't EVER feel sorry for a pup - this sounds appalling I know - but if you are unhappy with any aspect of the breeders setup - walk away.

Some people breed irresponsibly and see it as a licence to print money - when done properly, there is very little money in it - by buying such pups, you are simply licensing the breeders to produce more puppies :(

rocco33 likes this.
  13. foxyroxy1979

foxyroxy1979 PetForums Junior

Excellent list of questions I will be using them when the time comes. Thank you

14. miti999

miti999 PetForums Senior

Yep! Me too.

15. moshkinz

moshkinz PetForums Newbie

I give my puppy like that too

16. pitbull85

pitbull85 PetForums Junior

a big and to me a very important question as well is the temperament of the not just the puppy but both parents as well. tho I still believe its the owner and not the breed in my dog of choice.

17. AtheistAnimals

AtheistAnimals PetForums Newbie

Wish I had read this post before getting my pup, we found out last week that she was 5 weeks old and not 8 weeks, like we were told. The breeder also changed the delivery to drop the puppy off to us and the 3 times before we seen the puppy it was at a 'friends' house (Strangely her number is no longer active). It all seemed really good, we had a puppy book which had a picture of her every week (obviously not 8 weekly photos likes we initially thought) it also included her diet and weights which again were obviously made up too. The breeder also informed us that she was on Royal Cain puppy food and loved it, Another lie! she was on some cheap generic food and the Royal Cain we bought made her unwell.

Not a great way to start my puppy experience at all!

Luckily for her she is now very healthy, weaned successfully onto Orijen Puppy and appears to have no lasting behavioral issues.

18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Tacking this on - I know this this is an old thread but it is a STICKY which we hope people will read!

PUPQUEST - Learn to be puppy-source savvy

Website dedicated to how to go about finding a puppy and choosing a breeder.

While it is US based MOST of it will also apply to the UK. We really need a UK-specific version of this site.

19. goldylocks

goldylocks PetForums Newbie

Hiya

I'm new here, I'm looking for someone who may be able to provide me with an answer or idea.

I have a 3yr old Chihuahua boy who has sired a couple of litters in the past. (I even have 2 of his kids) However in the last year or so he has tied with a couple of my girls on a couple of occasions, but nothing has come of it.

He is happy and healthy in himself and his libido is fine as he is well up for it and a real little go'er when he gets to a girl. The problem seems to be his 'swimmers'.

I would really prefer not to have to take him to the vet as I know they will have to 'mess around' with him and I don't want to put him through that.

So I though someone here may have an answer or an idea of why this is happening.

Thanks in anticipation

#19 goldylocks, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  20. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

you need to ask this in the breeding section, but only a vet can do tests on his swimmers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice