Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Questions regarding poop in bottle-fed puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Unbroken-Link, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Unbroken-Link

Unbroken-Link PetForums Newbie

My family is taking care of two orphan puppies, so to feed them they give the puppies the dog milk as they were recommended. They puppies are about less than a week old. We feed them every 3-4 hours. After every meal we make them pee and poop. So lately I noticed that the color of the poop of one of the puppies is green while the other one's is yellow with things that look like really small "seeds" or "eggs". What does this mean? Is there some kind of problem with them or the way we feed them? Should I feed them more often or wait more hours between the feeding sessions?

Thanks for reading!!!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Are they being wormed? What has the vet said?

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Check with a vet

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

As the pups were dumped, it's not likely they or the mother were wormed. I think Panacur 10% liquid is the only wormer that would be safe for such small puppies.
    Any luck finding a foster mum yet?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would be the most concerned with the one that is passing green faeces to be honest. Have you checked with the vet? Green stools can mean an infection, orphaned puppies are more at risk of infections then puppies who are with mum because puppies have immature immune systems and also wont be getting the maternal derived antibodies to protect them from mum in the colostrum and milk. Keeping them warm and at the right temperature is important because if puppies get chilled they cant digest food properly and chiling makes them even more prone to picking up infection. You do though at the same time have to make sure they don't get too hot as well as too cold. If one should have developed an infection the others may pick it up too, so you need to consult your vet.

It sounds like they may well have worms too, worms are passed from mum via the placenta and as larvae in the milk, and given their history its likely mum wasn't wormed properly. So again you need to speak to the vet about worming them and getting them on a programme to eradicate any worms. Don't be tempted to buy an over the counter one because there are only certain wormers you can use in the very young pup, at less then a week they are quite likely to be a bit to young to start worming yet anyway.

6. Unbroken-Link

Sorry for not replying. I have been really busy taking care of the puppies. Both of them are alive and today they've openned their eyes.

Nowadays their poop is something like "dark mustard". I'll talk to the vet about the worms next time I see him.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I'll take everything into consideration.

Edit: I haven't found the "seeds" in their poop anymore.

#6 Unbroken-Link, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

The 'seeds' are probably milk curds , they are seen in bottle fed newborn human babies. As the digestive system matures they disappear which is probably what's happened to your pups.
    Glad they are doing well.

8. Unbroken-Link

Didn't know that. Thanks.

I have another question that I forgot to ask the vet (and that I'll ask the next time I see him). What is the average time a person has to estimulate the puppy for him to poop? And what is the best way to do it (in circles, imitating the licking of the mother, from side to side)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice