Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Questions for house rabbit keepers vs outside bunnys

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by billyboysmammy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. I have read some of the recent threads about the sizes of accomodation with interest. Its brought out a few questions from me and i hope it will help more people too.

I had a house bunny for 6 years before unfortunatly she got cancer and had to be put down :(. She was a beautiful blue french lop.

Now all day she had the run of the house and was generally well behaved (apart from taking exception to my then new wallpaper pmsl)

But at night I shut her into her pen to sleep. This would be from about 11pm - 6am. Her pen was a 48inch puppy crate, she had a bed area, food, water, toys and a litter tray. Remember this was just to sleep in, the rest of the time the pen was open and she was free to come and go. She also had free run of the garden often, but only under supervision.

So... in light of what i have read about the accomodation sizes for bunnys being kept outside even when they have lots of access to free running and space, it seems i was wrong?

Was i being cruel? i dont think i was as she was a happy loving little lump who was much loved and had lots of attention and excercise. I would like to know though, because although a long way off (a couple of years at least) i would like another house rabbit, and wouldnt want to do it wrong this time round.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont think a few hours in a 48inch cage is cruel. Dog cages are also much wider and higher than hutches.

Its when a rabbit is spending the majority of time locked away that it becomes an issue. For many buns they spend about 75%, if not more, locked in a tiny wooden box.

This can have a huge affect on their physical and mental wellbeing.

If a bun is out of its housing for over 75% of the day, then i see no problem with a cage of your size. I think 48inches should be the absolute minimum.

#2 Nonnie, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

No you werent being cruel or wrong at all sounds like a very spoilt bunnie compared to some house buns as she had a lot of exercise time! So if you were to get another bun then the same would be just fine! xx

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh no you werent being cruel, buns outside when the weathers bad spend the majority of the time in the hutch so they have very little room if they have a tiny hutch. Your bun sounded like she had a great life!

5. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Nah not being cruel, it was only for a short period of time. She sounds like she had the perfect life!

My bun had free run of house during day but was confined to kitchen at night :rolleyes: she would never lay in her hutch bless her....on the quiet I think she didnt quite believe she was a bun :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice