Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Questions about testing.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Aubrie30, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Aubrie30

Aubrie30 PetForums Senior

Hi all,

After much discussion and research, we have decided to add another cat to our family... A Maine coon! We've both always admired the breed and after lots of reading we think it would be a good fit for our family. We are in the process of researching breeders and have had a few recommendations from people we know who have Maine Coons already.

But my head is hurting from information overload and I can't seem to find a definitive answers for exactly what testing breeders should be carrying out. Obviously FIV, FeLV and HCM are the main ones but should I expect tests for PKD and x-rays for HD as well? Am I missing anything else?

We've only ever had moggies before so the pedigree world is new to us, any other information and advice will be greatly appreciated :)

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

All breeding cats should be tested negative for Felv and FIV so you would not expect the kittens to be tested. You could ask to see the parents' test results. Langford Vets which are the main testing lab in this country recommend HCM, Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKdef) and Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) DNA tests for Maine Coons but again, if the parents are tested free from the gene mutations, the kittens themelves may not be tested.

#2 QOTN, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I wouldn't expect a kitten to be tested for FIV or FeLV. If I was taking a female to stud I would have to get a snap test for these before she went.

Yes to the HCM DNA test but I would want to see that the breeder was scanning their cats as well. I've no idea about Hip Displasia in them, but if it's an issue it's the parents that should be x-rayed, as in dogs.

Maine Coons should also be test for Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKDef) and Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), unless the parents have been tested and at least one is negative, as carriers are not affected by the condition.

PKD doesn't seem to be an issue in MCOs according to Langford.

http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/diagn...eneral-info-breeders/genetic-diseases-and-cat

spotty cats likes this.
  4. Aubrie30

Aubrie30 PetForums Senior

Yes, I meant testing in the queen and stud. I just worded it badly, sorry!

Thanks for the link @OrientalSlave, that's really helpful :)

5. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

No need to test for HD as not in the breed, but yes to DNA tests and annual scans for HCM. You should test for PKDef and SMA as a standard, well I would anyway. And then snap tests before each mating. I would also vaccinate queens and stud against FeLV to be on the safe side. Hope that helps?

Aubrie30 likes this.
  6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

All the good breeders I know get hips checked every 12 or 24 months.
    So long as core vaccines were done on whatever schedule the breeder is following, that's fine by me though I've never had a kitten owner enquire about that.

Good luck in your search Aubrie

Aubrie30 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice